Basic Tropical Kit

sunshinegeckos

They are desert animals. You can use the basic desert kit but you will also need a under tank heater insted of the overhead bulbs it comes with and a digital probe themometer to check the floor temps and not the temperature gauge it comes with.

sunshinegeckos

Leopard Geckos need belly heat to be able to digest their food. The red heat light is not good on its own. You can use a red heat light for extra warm if your UTH is not getting the temp up enough and for viewing at night.

OnlineGeckos

Those "kits" sound nice when I initially started awhile back, but after the first tank I realized it's cheaper to buy individually what I needed. Look up the tank setup of what you must have, it's cheaper to buy the must have's rather than go with a kit that give you many useless items.

Must have's:

1. 10 gallon tank.
2. Under tank heater that covers 1/3 of the tank, so go for the small if you have a 10 gallon, medium if you have 20 gallon.
3. 3 hides, you can either buy decors from pet stores or make your own with deli cups.
4. digital thermometer with a probe, it's cheaper buying that than to buy those stick on combo thermometer/humidity things that come with the kit.
5. substrate... slate tiles or paper towels are preferable. Obviously paper towels are the cheapest, but slate tiles are also cheap and will make your tank look really good and really clean.

No leopard geckos do not require a basking light, they do not require a heat rock (they are dangerous, you want an under tank heating pad). Be wary of pet store employees that will try to sell you those things almost guaranteed.

acharpenter

If you do end up going with the kit - just one thing I wanted to mention in addition to everyone else

IIRC - the kit comes with a loose/particle substrate sand of some sort. I would make sure to do your research before using it. Start with paper towels or tiles until you have an understanding of what you may be getting into with using any type of "sand"

panthergecko

get the basic 10 gallon tropical kit by zilla
10 gallon
lamp and blue bulb
uth
reptile carpet
thermometer/hygrometer
screen and clips

Visit our friends