Basking light or UTH!? Help!

braytonia

So I picked up a Leopard Gecko on Monday, have been wanting one for years now and I finally purchased one. Along with the Leo I bought the "Zilla Desert Start Up Kit" because thats what was suggested I get from the store associate. Ive been doing all the research I can to maintain the perfect terrarium and a healthy Leo but I was reading on here that most people only use a UTH because a basking light can be too harsh on the skin and eyes of the Leopard Gecko. Now its a 10g tank and its only a 50watt bulb that stays on during the day and the thermometer on the tank reads 90 degrees all day. Although he only hides under his rock for pretty much the whole day and comes out only at night... And for night time use the kit included another 50watt black light which stays on over night and thats when hell come out and hunt and sit on his rock. Now do I need to ditch the basking light and get a UTH? If so what side do I put the UTH on and is the black light overnight ok or should I just get a red light?? And what are signs of a healthy Leo?

I appologize in advance but I have searched and searched and I can't seem to find one solid answer... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
uggghhh, the dreaded pet store "start up" kit...

probably had repticarpet or the associate told you to get calci-sand as well. there are tons and tons of threads here that discuss a general setup for leos. some might not agree with me, but here goes...

Since leopard geckos are considered nocturnal, you will not need any special lighting of any kind. Bright lights can actually stress your gecko. You can provide a low watt incandescent bulb to simulate day/night cycles if you choose to, but I just keep the blinds open in my reptile room. They do not require UVB under normal circumstances, but there are issues where one might be helpful. Geckos that develop MBD have seemed to recover faster by being exposed to UVB for short periods of time. For heating, you will need an under tank heater, heat cable, or flex watt. Leopard geckos need the under belly heat to aid in digestion. Position your heat source under the tank on one end as to provide a heat gradient. It should cover no more than 1/3 of your tank. Your heat source should be plugged into a thermostat at all times, and the thermostat probe should be on the surface of your substrate, under your "hot" hide. The temperature on the surface of the hot side should be between 92-95 degrees. If you do not use a thermostat you risk the chances of hot spots or even not getting hot enough. NEVER use a heat rock of any kind for any reptile. These are notorious for causing severe burns.

Choice of substrate is a hotly debated subject in the gecko world, but the general consensus is to use a non particulate substrate. I personally suggest paper towels, butcher's paper, vinyl tiles, or ceramic tiles. Never under any circumstances would I suggest using sand of any kind. Calcium enriched sand is the worst you could use for any reptile in my opinion. Ingestion of sand of any kind could lead to intestinal impaction and ultimately death.

braytonia

Thank you for that detailed response, looks like I have some things to pick up for the PROPER living conditions. So did I hurt my Leo at all? Its only been 3 days with the heating lights on...

OnlineGeckos

He should be fine. I made the same mistake listening to a Petco employee when I first got started. Bought a "kit" and I actually took the UTH to the checkout counter, where the guy told me I wouldn't need the UTH because the light would keep my leopard gecko warm. Of course I shouldn't have doubted myself since I did my homework ahead of the time. I went home and overnight I realized the bulb doesn't heat the floor properly.

When you test your temperature, you don't want to use those sticky thermometer that comes with the kits. These thermometer only tell you the air/ambient temperature. They do not tell you how warm/cold the floor is where your leopard geckos lay on. So it's important to get a digital thermometer with a probe thingy, that way you can lower the probe down onto the floor/carpet/substrate and get an accurate reading. Leopard geckos get their heat from their belly and it's very very important they get proper heating on the ground because that's how they digest their food.

You'll want to keep the UTH on at all time, 24/7. This will give them a guaranteed place that's always warm. I personally use a red bulb for night viewing, low watt so it doesn't really generate a lot of heat. It's great for night time viewing purposes as red light doesn't seem to bother them. But it does allow you to watch them when they are most active. And if you have a cool setup, it just makes the tank look cool at night.

Good luck and congrats on your new leopard gecko!

geckoluver4evr

Ugh, me too! Same mistake. Darn petco! Misinformation. My bro has a baby bearded dragon with a UTH, and he got him a basking lamp. My room is the coldest in the house, and I had no source of heat for my lil guy, so I asked to borrow the basking lamp. I did, but at night, I had to turn it off. And I can't imagine how cold my baby was, no heat source at all. So now I owe my dad $20, but my baby has a 10-20 gallon UTH for a 10 gallon tank. :) Don't worry, it's not your fault if "experts" tell you something and you believe it. I did! But now my lil guy is very happy. Gotta love geckos! I'd get a UTH if I were you, and I too wouldn't reccomend sand. Impaction is a terrible thing! I use paper towel. Ugly, check. Safe? Check. :) Smiles and best of luck! Oh, and we loooove pics on here. We'd love to see your gecko!

braytonia

Well I finally picked up a UTH today and its reading 92.4 and he seems to be loving it. He has been more active/ alert in the last hour than he has been in over 3 days! He is how ever a little paler than when I first got him 4 days ago... What could that be?

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
low temps can cause geckos to darken up. once you get him set up on the right temps, he will be showing his true colors. that or he could be about to shed

Visit our friends