Best easy to get substrate(Not paper towels)

endrien

What is a good substrate that isn't paper towels but is easy to get? I don't have a way to cut tiles so that isn't an option and I don't believe the pet store near me sells turf.

Franklinj480

I didn't have a way to cut tiles either, but they're very easy to break and fragment. I took some left over ceramic tiles from house remodeling and just took a hammer to them. I broke them into roughly 2'' pieces. (make sure you break the sharp edges) *very important*
I set a thin layer of sand down and started "paving" the ground with the tile fragments. After that I dumped about a half cup of sand on the tile mosaic and brushed it back and forth until it filled all the cracks. Spray it down with a water bottle a few times and they'll be set pretty solid.

The end result is attractive and very good at conducting heat

lovelovelove135

How about cutting a brown paper lawn bag to fit your tank? Someone on this forum does that, I forgot who, and it's just like paper towel, only it's brown so it's nicer looking :)

If you have a department store nearby, they usually cut the tiles for free with purchase, or you can buy smaller ones. I bought 10 6"x6" for my 20 gallon long, they fit perfectly.

endrien

I'm pretty sure Homedepot will cut the tiles for you if you ask them to.

Might be an option considering my brother works at HomeDepot. I want to get a bigger tank for my leo as my current hotspot seems too small(I suppose it doesn't matter so long as there IS a hotspot but still)but people around here seem to think aquariums are made of gold and as 150$ for a 20 gallon on classifieds.

What is the best way to connect the tiles? Like stick them together.

Russ S

Re-Member
people around here seem to think aquariums are made of gold and as 150$ for a 20 gallon on classifieds.

I don't know where you are from, but if there is a PetCo around you they have $1 a gallon sales all the time on tanks. You can get a 20 gal for $20 and maybe another $20 for a screen top.

JTC5150

I didn't have a way to cut tiles either, but they're very easy to break and fragment. I took some left over ceramic tiles from house remodeling and just took a hammer to them. I broke them into roughly 2'' pieces. (make sure you break the sharp edges) *very important*
I set a thin layer of sand down and started "paving" the ground with the tile fragments. After that I dumped about a half cup of sand on the tile mosaic and brushed it back and forth until it filled all the cracks. Spray it down with a water bottle a few times and they'll be set pretty solid.

The end result is attractive and very good at conducting heat

Sounds like a nice looking sub. Kind of like laying brick pavers at work lol!How about a pic of this?

PaladinGirl

How about cutting a brown paper lawn bag to fit your tank? Someone on this forum does that, I forgot who, and it's just like paper towel, only it's brown so it's nicer looking :)

That's me LOL! ;) I love brown paper lawn bag. All's I do is put an extra strip where she poops and change it daily. I change the whole thing out every 2 weeks to a month. I came up with the idea because I hated the look of paper towel and newspaper but liked the idea of paper because I think it's one of the safest substrates to use. I cut it to fit and put a thin strip of tape along the edges so her bugs don't get under it.

endrien

I don't know where you are from, but if there is a PetCo around you they have $1 a gallon sales all the time on tanks. You can get a 20 gal for $20 and maybe another $20 for a screen top.

Here the petstore(Pet smart and Pets unlimited) sell 10 gallon tanks for 50+
I've yet to see a cheap 10 gallon or 1$ per gallon sale.

SDCowboy

Here the petstore(Pet smart and Pets unlimited) sell 10 gallon tanks for 50+
I've yet to see a cheap 10 gallon or 1$ per gallon sale.

I go to petco all the time and I have NEVER seen this $1/gal sale everyone talks about on here.

Franklinj480

older picture of the basic idea,

I've redone it since then when I upgraded to a 20gal, I took a bit more time to get the pieces to fit. I'll send you a picture once I get my camera back

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ajveachster

That's me LOL! I love brown paper lawn bag. All's I do is put an extra strip where she poops and change it daily. I change the whole thing out every 2 weeks to a month. I came up with the idea because I hated the look of paper towel and newspaper but liked the idea of paper because I think it's one of the safest substrates to use. I cut it to fit and put a thin strip of tape along the edges so her bugs don't get under it.

I tell people to try brown kraft paper (the stuff used to wrap packages to mail). You can usually find a roll at a local dollar store, and get about 20+ uses depending on tank size and roll size. I also agree that it looks better than paper towels.

Tailless

Natural-colored Paper Towels

I know you said no paper towels... However, they do sell darker (think cardboard color) paper towels, which look better than stark white. These can usually be found at a natural foods-type market. The brand that I use is "Seventh Generation", but I am sure that there are others.

These towels are a bit more expensive than regular paper towels but they do (a) look better, and (b) claim to be chlorine-free and hypoallergenic, which I figure cannot be a bad thing.

Visit our friends