Blue Light for nighttime!?

jrcb07

Hi I have a baby leo in a 20 gal long tank and I was wondering if it was a good idea to get like a small 50w blue "moonlight" bulb just for viewing. I know leos dont need any lighting and the temperatures in my tank are pretty good. I have a small ceramic light with a regular bulb on but i never use it anymore (since i found out they dont need light) so i was wondering if i could get him a blue one just for night time so i can see him for a bit. If I leave it on all night it would make the tank hotter right?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I like the blue moonlight bulb better than the infrared. The red bothers my leo and he won't explore if it's on. Yes it WILL add heat to your tank. Anywhere from 3-7 degrees depending on how long it is on and how your tank is set up. You would likely need to turn down your uth while using the blue moonlight bulb as tank tems are suppose to drop slightly at night (as they do naturally when the sun sets with out adjusting the uth) rather than go up.

jrcb07

what if i get a 15w exo terra night glo...that shouldn't add too much heat right? i would only use it at night time for a bit and then turn it off before i go to sleep..around 12 (I dont have a thermostat so my UTH is always on and the temperature is always around 93. doesn't drop past 90 at night time) should be ok right?

bowsertime

The Geckonator
My 15W Night-Glo didn't add much heat at all to the enclosure, but it also didn't give off a lot of light at all. It's barely sufficient to see much of anything.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Maybe you'd be better served trying a black light bulb

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/heat-bulbs-night-heat-bulbs-ceramic-bulbs/-/flukers-60-watt-black-night-bulbs/

Minimal heat, simulates night but puts off decent light from the ones I've seen used before.

Joao

v Snowflake v
Like posted above... Those blacklights don't give off much light at all.

I have an exo-terra 50w night-glo which is a black light bulb and it sucks for viewing.

I would try looking for an actual blue light. I know home depot carries 40w ones.

Pinky81

I have a moonglow bulb..think its a 50watt. Doen't put off too much heat especially if only left on for an hour or two. Honestly I don't think its that great for viewing...mine don't seem to mind the infared lights so i usually turn on those at night to watch my guys a little.

Visit our friends