can a leopard gecko have too much room?

M

mansparkles

:knife: I am looking for a tank for my leopard gecko that I will be getting shortly and I found "Exo Terra Glass Terrarium" which looks perfect but the 10 gallon is shaped oddly and has a small base but is tall...and the 20ish gallon ( 18 x 18 x 18 )looks perfect...I was wondering if leopard geckos feel uncomfortable if their habitat is a bit large?
:thinking2:

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
The 18 x 18 x 18 is a good size, though the height is wasted on Leos. The floor space is in between the size of a 15 gallon and a 20 long, which are both popular sizes.

Last edited:

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Think of it this way, how big is their natural enviroment? ABSOLUTELY MAHOOOSIVEE, IMO geckos can never have too much room it gives them so much more room to explore.
As tony said, between a 15-20 is ideal for the keeper while giving enough room for the gecko.

marraeco8311

I am deploying the end of this year and planning on getting leopard geckos when I return. I am trying to create the perfect environment for a colony of females in a 125 gallon lizard aquarium(wood bottom currently but, I will switch it to slate to make it safe). I am trying to gather information as too how many females you would recommend in the same tank. I will get them all about the same time and age so that they should grow together and get along pretty well but, I am just curious how much space for each. I will be creating a multi level situation for them to go up a little as well to get some space from each other. Just need peoples opinions please. This will be quite awhile away so I have plenty of time to plan and decide the correct course of action.

Misstasha

if i were you i wouldn't wasite the money on a exo terra tank -0 there is sooo much height in those tanks which the leos dont use - i'd by a 30 gallon long if your looking fo ra big tank and if you want a regular get a 20 gallon long tank!! as long as you have hides and fake plants, things to make ur leo feel secure there wont be a p roblem with the tank being too big - my leos are in a 60-70 gallon tank!!

leogecko88

I don't think a leo can be housed in too much space. I have one leo in a terrarium that is 36 in long and 18 in wide.
You should look for more floor space than height. Exo-terras are made more for arboreal reptiles.

marraeco8311

It's a 125 gallon long and wide tank without the bottom glass in it. I would replace the glass with slate covered in repticarpet. It's a little tall like a regular 55 gal in height. I would just be converting the tank I used to house a savanah monitor in to a gecko habitat. No extra expense except that part to keep it the right temp and humidity. I would be using an UTH and and daylights as well as a thrermostat/temp checkers. Just not sure how many could be housed together safely if they are around same age and all females.

Misstasha

for me, like i said i have a large tank and some ppl say icould add 10 in my tank, i jus play it by ear, i p ut as my hides as i can in the enclosure without it looking crowded two hiding areas per leo... I have four in my big tank and i could comfortably fit 2 more but thats it!!!

you dont want them so squished that they are fighting over hides :)

Visit our friends