Can I use slate as my substrate?

LeopardGeckoNinja

Hi everyone, I was wondering if I could use slate slate rocks as a substrate and fill in the gaps with sand? (Only the gaps, no impaction risks) I was wondering if the UTH would have sufficient power to heat the enclosure. I don't know what watt it is however. I think it's pretty average.
Thanks for your help!
LeopardGeckoNinja :main_laugh:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
The problem you can run into with natural stone is that the laws of thermodynamics make it heat the entire surface rather than a hot "spot" so you're trying to heat a greater area. Natural stone will dissipate the heat thru the entire stone. I have had several conversations about this with others if you wanted to go back thru my past posts and see. Also the inconsistant thicknesses thru several pieces of different slate rather than a say 12x12 piece will also affect how the heat comes thru the tile. You could be subject to some cooler/hotter spots than if the slate ws uniformly thick thruout. lastly if the slate you're using is 1/2 inch thick or thicker the average sized uth for a 20 long (say 6x11 7 watt) would likely not be strong enough. I would recommend 12-15 watt minimum for heating thru anything 1/2 inch or thicker. Would you be laying the slate directly on the bottom of the tank or would you be laying a layer of sand first so that the slate didn't move about and shift as the leo walked on it? Honestly I think vinyl simulated slate works much better and it is a lot easier to work with, a lot cleaner, and you don't have to worry abut things getting trapped under it like moisture.

PS cute avatar :)

Last edited:

prettyinpink

I use slate tile, and it heats my tank nicely...some heat it so well they get too hot. They have a lot to choose from, slipery kind or even sand looking, ect.

LeopardGeckoNinja

Thank you for your wonderfull comment! Yes, I think I will go with vinyl. It sounds a lot more practical :) @prettyinpink I might experiment with some different types of slate and see the temps, thanks for your input.
Sorry for not looking back through the threads, bit new here! (love it though)
Ps. Avatar is a photoshop pic of my gecko george, glad you like it :)

monkeytechahoo

We use slate tile in our 2 gecko's cages and haven't had a problem with it and heating. A single hot spot, where the digital probe is taped down, where the UTH is positioned under the glass bottom and then you can sorta feel the warmth spread out. I LOVE the way it's so easy to clean too.

We have it in the beardie's cage as well, but had to put reptile carpet over the tile in his cave where he sleeps, as it gets chilly there since a bearded dragon doesn't need a UTH for belly heat. His ceramic heater doesn't heat the tile floor under the cave due to the cave blocking it.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
There is no off gassing from high end vinyl/ I've been using it since I got my leo and there is no problem. The uth isn't kept warm enough to cause heating it high enough to cause off gassing.

Visit our friends