Can you Dim a heat pad?

moviemanmania

Can you put a dimmer control on a heat pad to adjust the output, or will it damage and eventually break the heat pad?

scm133

GULFCOASTGECKOS
Yes. You can use either a dimmer or a thermostat to regulate the heat pad. Also, use a digital probe thermometer to monitor the temp.

dremanjon

You just plug the UTH into the dimmer and the dimmer into the wall. The dimmer basically limits the amount of electricity that goes to the UTH based on how far you slide the slider. Less electricity = less heat, or vise versa! :main_thumbsup:

PaladinGirl

I use a dimmer for 2 of my habitats. The other one I use a Zoo Med thermostat. I wouldn't recommend a thermostat honestly, the dimmer works fine and is cheaper. Any Lowe's or Home Depot has them. Just make sure to check the temp daily, and especially if it gets cooler or warmer than what is normal for the room you keep your lizards in. Make sure you're using a digital thermometer on the warm side. I tape mine to the floor under their warm hide.

hotrodjunkie

apparently I need a dimmer too? i brought home my son's Leo where he slept confy under his warm hide- but the tanks was on an open rack stand. I'll be keeping it on a counter top type shelf and when I put his tank there last night I noticed he was going in and coming right out of his usual warm hide- I thought it felt pretty warm to the touch, and very hot under the tank- so I put some pencils under the corners to ventilate it a bit, but he slept outside next to the hide and has stayed out of it.

Today I got his new 20 gallon tank and all new stuff, including a thermostat (not digital because I read on other boards and amazon reviews they are not accurate), put it over the heating pad in his hide.. 110 degrees. so i'm gonna go buy a dimmer now.. poor thing. I moved it over til I get back..

hotrodjunkie

Electrical guy at Home Depot says the dimmers are light switches, nothing that I could plug into. Anyone know of something he doesn't?? for now I'm going to elevate the tank on a couple of 4x4's to get some more ventilation under it, try to position his cave a little better. Maybe I should go with a heat lamp instead of an UTH?

btw sorry to hijack your thread MovieMan

hotrodjunkie

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
I would think it's perfect!

why wouldn't an older guy working in the light department at Home Depot I went to not know about this? wasted my gas going all the way over there :main_angry:

Maybe the dude only knows about lighting. Ya also wasted money and polluted. :)

dremanjon

It does work.

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

:main_thumbsup:

Adinar

Yup, this dimmer works. We tried it out for our last pick up and it's been working great and is a little cheaper compaired to the actual rheostats from zoomed. No issues.

Visit our friends