Digital vs. Infrared Thermometers

B

bryman021

I have been using digital thermometers in all my enclosures for quite some time. I thought they were fairly accurate. I use the ones with probes on them and stick the probe to the floor over my UTH and use a hide or rock to keep them in place. They would always be reading anywhere from about 87 to 93F. I recently got an Infrared thermometer, A good one that is +/- 2.5 degrees F for accuracy. I was amazed when I was getting readings from 110 to 120+ F in my three enclosures on the hot side with the infrared gun. I have dimmer switches on the UTH's so I adjusted them so that I was getting readings of about 91 to 96F with the infrared. Now all my digi's are only reading in the low to mid 80's. I trust the infrared more since it is a very good thermometer and it is reading actual surface temps. Also the infrared gun that I am using has a ratio of 10:1. So at 10 inches from the surface its reading a 1" diameter circle. Anyone else have this big of a difference between the two types?

I did notice that before I got the new temp gun that all my leos were not going onto the hot side very often, usually staying in the middle, since the change they now spend alot more time on the hot side.

I feel lucky that none of my leos have any burns on them or became dehydrated from the intense heat before I started using the infrared.

I am interested to hear what you all think about this

Also I am new here, I just joined the forum a few days ago, I love it! Lots of good information on here!!!!!:main_yes:

Visit our friends