Display enclosure from IKEA cabinet

LizardPants

I'm thinking of creating an enclosure for one or two female leopard geckos from this IKEA cabinet. My idea is to replace the frosted glass, with transparent glass.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89870415

The 30" is a little bit larger than a 20 gallon long aquarium, and there is also a 39" model.

Any thoughts, or recommendations?
What would you do to convert it: where should vents be placed, heating, etc..?

A bit of background:
I know there are tons of highly functional enclosures and racks on the market, however I haven't found any to suit my tastes for a display enclosure. This however, matches my tastes quite nicely.

malves85

Before you look into anything else I would say make sure the Acrylic Paint is ok. I dont know much about how hot it can get and if it gives off fumes.

Product description
Glass door:
Frame: Aluminum
Door panel: Tempered/safety glass

Wall cabinet frame-horizontal:
Frame: Particleboard, Melamine foil, Polypropylene
Back: Acrylic paint
Shelf: Tempered/safety glass

I would place a vent on each side of the cabinet and possibly cut out the top and install a screen to get some good cross ventilation going.
Not really sure on heat source. I know its not ideal but maybe a small bulb fixed to the ceiling.

clemsonguy1125

As long as you do what the previous poster suggested it should work but a 20 long would be much cheaper or for beardies a 40 breeder would be cheaper especially at petcos dollar a gallon sale

LizardPants

Thanks for the tips guys!

I have them in a 20 gallon long, already. I'm looking for something that looks nicer and opens from the front.

I currently use an ultratherm UTH on the hot end. Is there a practical way to use that or flexwatt?

Usually IKEA furniture is melamine or veneer. Melamine is popular with other reptiles, but I know some wood finishes may not be safe.
So I'm thinking of lining it with glass or acrylic, maybe with a ceramic tile floor. With ventilation, I think a UTH or some flexwatt would work.
Any other ideas?

Visit our friends