DIY styrofoam cage

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
That looks really neat, inexpensive and a great way to garner more space for yur herp. The snake doesn't look too thrilled at his empty cage tho. I would think something like this would work well for leos. I've asked in other posts about using vinyl and have been told it's fine for leos. Screen on the front and top for the lighting elements you might use and voila... huge new leo habitat.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
That would depend on the heat rating of the foam used. The insul-board they were using is for houses so prob. has a higher heat rating or you can get the insul-board that is foil covered.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
The blue insulation boards can be used under a heat source such as this

floor%20heat.jpg

This is shown using insulation board under floor heaters so it must survive higher heats such as that of a UTH.

The point of insulation is to stop temperature transfer such as cold to hot or hot to cold thru resistance of air flow. "Insulation’s role is to slow down the transfer of heat. This is measured in its ability to resist air flow, which is called R-value (resist value). The higher the R-value is, the greater its resistance to heat. Its R-value will be determined by the type of material it is made from, the thickness of the insulation and the density of the insulating material itself".

What I would do is use the insulating baord, then put the UTH INSIDE the tank under tile.

"Extruded Polystyrene Foam
Extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) also known as blue board or pink board comes in many different thicknesses and edge profiles. This insulation board is probably one of the most widely used foam board insulation products in the residential construction industry. XPS has an R value of 4.5 to 5.0 per inch of thickness."

Honestly if you were looking at doing that project I would recommend this board insted.

0,0,406,16427,621,351,c9fe4e5e.jpg

"vermiculite insulation - Characteristics: fireproof, heat preservation, heat and sound insulation, damp proof, moisture absorption ,mildew proof, lightweight, environmental-friendly etc" http://vermiculite0423.en.china.cn/selling-leads/detail,1070140360,vermiculite-heat-insulation-board.html

Last edited:

clemsonguy1125

Sounds like the heat tape is the best option under tiles, or a infrared heat lamp, anything better then heat directly under the foam. Even better, 2 layers of tiles, one under, and one over the UTH

Visit our friends