Extra Heat Problems

SMPritchett10

Hello,

We just recently bought a new house with a finished basement, which is where my young Leo is going to go. Unfortunately, the basement is significantly cooler than upstairs at all times. His warm side temp stays between 80 and 85. I would like for that to be up closer to 90. I am already using a UTH pad as well as a heat lamp that stays on at all times. Is there another heat source I could add to boost that temperature up a little bit?

I will entertain any ideas.

Thank you!

Embrace Calamity

If the UTH and the lamp aren't enough, you'll just have to increase wattage of one (or both) of them. Is the temp you're getting inside or outside the hide? What size is the enclosure and how big is the UTH?

~Maggot

Embrace Calamity

UTHs come in different sizes; there's no "normal." Zoo Med UTHs come in up to 5 gallons, 10-20 gallons, 30-40 gallons, and 50-60 gallons. I'm not sure about the other brands. What kind of light are you using and what wattage is it? And is the tank a 20 high or 20 long?

~Maggot

DrCarrotTail

Without a thermostat or a dimmer the UTHs I have tend to heat the bottom of my tanks to 110-120. Hot enough to burn reptiles. Both the 8x8 I have on my 10 gallon and the 11x11 I have on the 30 gal custom tank I have reach that. Maybe you just need a new one?

Embrace Calamity

It's a 50 watt bulb. It's a 20 long tank.
You might want to try a 75 watt, but it would still be helpful to know what size your UTH is. During the winter in my 20 long, I use a 10 gallon UTH under the hot hide set to 90 during the day and a 75 watt bulb. But you still want to make sure the temps inside the hot hide are getting to the 88-93 degree range, otherwise your gecko will probably end up with some digestion issues.

~Maggot

DrCarrotTail

Yeah I wasn't talking about the light but the UTH. All of my UTH get way too hot when not controlled. I don't use lights on my tanks unless the temp in my house gets below 65 degrees. When I did live in an older apt a few years ago I used 40 watt bulbs during the winter months.

Visit our friends