First Tank Set-Up Questions

clemsonguy1125

Im starting to setup my tank for the gecko I am ordering in the next few weeks. The substrate is ecoearth and I have a heat pad for 5 gallon tanks. My question is whats the best way to hold the reptile carpet down? Ive heard tape can poison the gecko when the sticky part melts. Also when measuring the temperature should I just set the probe on the carpet and wait a couple hours for the temperature to settle.
And which hides would you suggest for a 10 gallon tank. Are those plastic hamster hides ok to use.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=reptile+hides&x=0&y=0
Thanks
001sjs.jpg

005sd.jpg

Last edited:

thegeckoguy23

I would recomend using a UTH (under tank heater) for 10 gall. You can try to use news paper or paper towl they work very good! There very good for cleaning and they cant eat it too :D The hamster hide is okay. Most hides are alright for them. I have seen people use meat packing dishes to hamster hides to lego houses lol. And yes to the probe.

clemsonguy1125

Thanks guys, I do have a UTH, thats the cord from it in the first pic.
Edit-I put a little weight in each corner and laid the probe on the reptile carpet. Im waiting for the reading now
Edit 2-I cant get my tank to heat up anymore, its stuck at 85 on the hot side in a small area, Im using a zoo med

Last edited:
R

riddler1259

you tank looks alot like mine i use a blue light at night and a white one during the day on the hot side where the heatting pad is

Visit our friends