First Tank!

jrr429

So i set up my first leopard gecko tank yesterday!!! it is only a 10 gallon, but its a start :)...lemme know what you think.

Knibitz

Pet Owner
cute! Are those the stackable rocks you're using? I've been wanting to do that myself, but I just can't reason with myself to pay that much for rocks.

I agree with Dog Shrink about adding another hide :)
you could probably fit a small moist hide ontop of your "hot hide"

Also, Geckos are nocturnal, but still need constant heat.
This means that heat LAMPS are not the best for them.
An under tank heater would work much better, as it doesn't emit any light and it also provides them a warm ground to lay on that's more easily monitored for over or under heating than a rock or the floor under a lamp.

Knibitz

Pet Owner
You can get free slate from Lowes, that's how I got mine.

!? seriously?
Do you just have to poke people to get them to give it to you, or do they have it sitting out?
I looked at my lowes for it and couldn't find anything except for GIANT stepping stone slate that was like 10$ a rock.

monkeytechahoo

I agree with the needing a moist hide and using a under the tank heater. I'd also recommend the probe digital thermometers as it's said almost everywhere that those dial thermometers can read 10 to 20degrees or more off the real temps.

Other than that yer lookin good.

Knibitz

Pet Owner
I agree with the needing a moist hide and using a under the tank heater. I'd also recommend the probe digital thermometers as it's said almost everywhere that those dial thermometers can read 10 to 20degrees or more off the real temps.

Other than that yer lookin good.

and you can find cheap digital thermometers at places like walmart, lowes, etc :)
7$ will get you one with a probe that can read the floor and the air temp.

monkeytechahoo

and you can find cheap digital thermometers at places like walmart, lowes, etc
7$ will get you one with a probe that can read the floor and the air temp.

:main_thumbsup: Walmart is where I got all of mine.

jrr429

I have an under the tank heater, forgot to mention that lol. but yes I will checkout walmart for the digital thermometer. The log hide is the moist hide, so i just need a cool one i guess. and they are not the stacking rocks Knibitz ( i wouldnt pay that much) just some free slate :)...thanks for all the comments and help guys.

And i was using the light to try and warm up the tank because are house is rather old and doesnt have heating :(...so with winter coming along I had figured this little critter would need any help he/she can get. but may be wrong so comments on that would be loved as well.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
And i was using the light to try and warm up the tank because are house is rather old and doesnt have heating :(...so with winter coming along I had figured this little critter would need any help he/she can get. but may be wrong so comments on that would be loved as well.

IDK what kind of light you're using but if it has a UV value to it it will stress your leo. If you need a secondary heat source you may be better off with a ceramic heat emitter insted of a basking bulb.

jrr429

it was a combo light/ red light from ********...i'll have to check when i ge thome if it has UV value. but now i got the tank (and house) at a more stable temperature so now i just use the red one, for night viewing purposes.

Visit our friends