Flexwatt Heat Tape Query

wny_luke

I'm just putting together my cage for a leo and I ordered 1 foot of 11" flexwatt heat tape to use as a UTH. I've also ordered a thermostat to regulate it. I'm planning to use it on a 20G long tank.

A few questions I can use some help with:

1. Is 11" heat tape too big for the size of my tank? I see most people building racks using 3 - 4" tape. I'm concerned I may not be able to provide a wide enough heat gradient with the 11" tape - although I"m not using racks.

2. The site I ordered from gave specific instructions to attach the probe of my thermostat directly to the tape. Most places I've read have said to place the thermostat probe for a UTH on the substrate that is above the UTH. Can anyone advise on the best approach?

3. I bought aluminum duct tape to attach the heat tape to my tank, should I just cover the entire strip of heat tape with it or just tape it up at the edges? I have no experience with this. And if I do put the thermostat probe directly on the heat tape, can I use the aluminum tape to attach it.

Quite a few questions there, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
1. Is 11" heat tape too big for the size of my tank? I see most people building racks using 3 - 4" tape. I'm concerned I may not be able to provide a wide enough heat gradient with the 11" tape - although I"m not using racks.

One foot of 11" tape will cover slightly more than 1/3 of the tank bottom, that should leave plenty of room to establish a good gradient.

2. The site I ordered from gave specific instructions to attach the probe of my thermostat directly to the tape. Most places I've read have said to place the thermostat probe for a UTH on the substrate that is above the UTH. Can anyone advise on the best approach?

I would stick to the directions provided, attach the probe to the tape and use a temp gun and/or digital probe thermometer to monitor temps in the cage.

3. I bought aluminum duct tape to attach the heat tape to my tank, should I just cover the entire strip of heat tape with it or just tape it up at the edges? I have no experience with this. And if I do put the thermostat probe directly on the heat tape, can I use the aluminum tape to attach it.

Just taping the edges is fine. Covering the entire strip won't hurt anything but it is a waste of expensive aluminum tape. The aluminum tape will work well to attach the probe.

roger

One foot of 11" tape will cover slightly more than 1/3 of the tank bottom, that should leave plenty of room to establish a good gradient.

I would stick to the directions provided, attach the probe to the tape and use a temp gun and/or digital probe thermometer to monitor temps in the cage.

Just taping the edges is fine. Covering the entire strip won't hurt anything but it is a waste of expensive aluminum tape. The aluminum tape will work well to attach the probe.

Hey tony if i use aluminum foil tape do i have to ground my rack ??

Visit our friends