For the Future! Need basic help

IslaReina

Ok so I can't start to acquire more leos for about 4 more years, but until then I need to occupy myself by planning for the future :) Right now I have 1 leo in a ten gallon with an UTH and that's all I can have for now because of college coming up. I have a few basic questions about housing/rack systems, please help!

1- I know a lot of people make their own rack systems, and I have been looking around at pre-made rack systems online. They all seem expensive. So I was just wondering, I'm not too handy, but how much do you save by making your own rack system?

2- Heat Tape...... is a complete mystery to me. I know it is used a lot with rack systems and I have no idea what it even is or how it is basically set up. If someone could give me a short run-through of the basics of heat tape that would be great :)

3- Way way way in the future, I plan on starting my little breeding project by having 1 male and 2 females. What size rack system would be good to start with? Like how many tubs/what sizes of tubs.

Thank you so much in advance! <3

roger

Ok so I can't start to acquire more leos for about 4 more years, but until then I need to occupy myself by planning for the future :) Right now I have 1 leo in a ten gallon with an UTH and that's all I can have for now because of college coming up. I have a few basic questions about housing/rack systems, please help!

1- I know a lot of people make their own rack systems, and I have been looking around at pre-made rack systems online. They all seem expensive. So I was just wondering, I'm not too handy, but how much do you save by making your own rack system? My rack is 6 ft high 7 ft wide and 36" deep

2- Heat Tape...... is a complete mystery to me. I know it is used a lot with rack systems and I have no idea what it even is or how it is basically set up. If someone could give me a short run-through of the basics of heat tape that would be great :) i used to hold the heat tape down by push pins but u have to be careful and put the pin in the clear plastic part and not the black part which holds the current

3- Way way way in the future, I plan on starting my little breeding project by having 1 male and 2 females. What size rack system would be good to start with? Like how many tubs/what sizes of tubs.

Thank you so much in advance! <3

1- I spent a total for materials ,heat tape ,tubs,thermostat $1000.u can make it for way cheaper but i made one that will last a life time.
2-u can get 3" 4" or 11 " wide heat tape.they have electrical conducting wires in a plastic sheet i guess is the best way to describe it. Google heat tape and u can get pics of it.U crimp and electrical cord into each side of the tape.u then plug your heat tape into a themostat like a herpstat.
3- you can get directions on how to build any size u want.

Last edited:

IslaReina

Thanks guys :) I have read those two threads and they still seem complicated lol.

So the heat tape, can it be right on top of the wood or whatever you use to make your rack, without risk of fire hazard, etc? and right on the bottom of the plastic?

shiftygecko

Thanks guys :) I have read those two threads and they still seem complicated lol.

So the heat tape, can it be right on top of the wood or whatever you use to make your rack, without risk of fire hazard, etc? and right on the bottom of the plastic?

Yep you shouldn't have a problem as long as its wired right. The heating pad only gets warm compaired to the temperatures needed to start a fire or melt the plastic.

I have my UTH's hooked up to a cheap dimmer dial that is used for lights. This way I can control the temperatures alot easier. If you need help with the wiring there are several good websites or just message me and I can tell you how I did it...

Hope it works out for you

Visit our friends