Gecko hiding under carpet

Friedbread

One of my geckos has started crawling under her repti-carpet. She stays there almost all day and only comes out for feeding time. I have had her for over two years and got her as a baby and she has never done this.

I am worried that she will burn herself on the UTH, but so far she has avoided laying on it. Though, she has started pooping directly on the glass over the heater. I am worried about this cracking the tank.

I have tried weighing down the carpet with decorations, but she still manages to get under. Should I let her continue this behavior? I am not sure how to stop her.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

reps4life

Is your temp warm enough on the carpet?
Does she have a secure hide in that area? If not adding one might help but be careful, the hides tend to hold in too much heat when placed directly over the heat mat.

C C Gecko

I haven't had my adults do that but I have had my babies do it, and I thought it was the light they might be trying to get away from. But if they are laying on top of the UTH under the carpet they might not be warm enough on top. Have you tried paper towels? It doesn't take much to heat through those.

Friedbread

She's not laying on the heater and she has plenty of hides that she's been content with for two years. She is albino, so perhaps she is trying to get away from the light, but I keep the room dim and it has never been a problem before. I think when I upgrade my geckos' tanks this fall I will use a tile bottom to prevent this potentially dangerous behavior.

Visit our friends