Gecko in the cold/humid side? Also pix of my terrariums..

Phil

Hi guys.. I've observe since the last 2-3 days that my geckos are more and more in the colder/humid side of the terrarium. I live in Montreal and the weather is starting to go up a bit so my room is at 73-74f instead of 68f during winter. My temp in the hot side are ~93-95f with the probe on the tile. Is it a bit too hot? I've added the humid hide also recently.. maybe they just like it in there!

Anyways.. Here are some picture of my setup! Comments are welcome =)

Phil

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Hey Phil~ You have nicer screen tops in Montreal! Very nice set ups!

As for the humid hide, some of mine abuse the use of it too, lol. Those folks only get it when they shed;) Or I just allow it to totally dry out. I know some people say the gecko knows what it needs and will decide where it wants to be, and I go along with this rule for the most part, but I have one leo that would rather stay in her humid hide than come out on feeding days...she'd skip lots of meals, when w/o it she's a great eater. So if its interfering with the geckos well being, Id probably just only give it to him/ her when shedding.

Also you may want to try to adjust the temp of the warm end alittle, I usually shoot for 88 to 93 degrees. (I'm not saying where you have it is wrong either), I just have noticed that some geckos seem to prefer the slightly lower warm temp., they eat better, and are more active.

Last edited:

Phil

Yea they are nice, but expensive.. But I prefer this to a simple screen with no doors. Thanks for the comments and for the tips.. I'll try to lower the temp a bit, if they are still in their humid hide I'll remove it and put it in only when they shed.

Phil

Phil

Pretty crazy how this site is quiet too..! Any one as an advice on how to get more reply?! lol ;)

TL : I've replace the 75w bulb for 50w in both of my 15g. Both gecko are back in their hot hide. 95f is too hot I guess..!

Last edited:

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
No ones answering probably b/c this topic has been discussed over and over again...but it's OK. Im glad I could help;).

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Pretty crazy how this site is quiet too..! Any one as an advice on how to get more reply?! lol ;)

TL : I've replace the 75w bulb for 50w in both of my 15g. Both gecko are back in their hot hide. 95f is too hot I guess..!

I'd say even a 50w over a 15gal. is too much! I use a 15w over a 20 gal. long, just for a day night cycle, not for heat.
Your not using a bulb to heat the tiles are you? You have heat mats right?

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
You definitely NEED a heatpad, they use belly heat. If your heating up the tiles to 95 with just a light bulb, the air temp in that tank has got to be even hotter than that! Your going to bake them!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Agreed. A heat mat is a MUST as the light output from a uv valued spot/basking lamp will/can stress your leo out. I have even seen the infrared lights stress my leo out, but the best that I have seen is the moonlight blue bulbs. The leo tolerates them well, they add just a soft amount (not intense heat like what comes off infrared or basking bulbs) of heat value to the tank and are relatively inexpensive. It is belly heat that is most important as Tara was saying. It is belly heat that aides is proper digestion and absorbtion of nutrients.

Visit our friends