getting started heating

moviemanmania

hello guys! I have my first leo gecko and just made him a cage. I am reading that the cage should be about 85-90 on the hot side and no lower than 73 on the cool side. I'm having a tough time maintaining some of the temps. Right now I have a 6x8 UTH mounted underneath the tank where it warms his hide. Inside his (tubberwear) hide I have two small paper towels one wet and one dry. Inside the hide the temp stays about 86. The other temps in cage vary from 77-72. Is this enough heat? I don't want to add lights ontop of the cage because I don't like the way they look. Any suggestions?

Pinky81

how are you measuring your temps?

Also your leo doesn't need the wet towel unless its shedding...you can if you like keep a moist hide on the cool side..that way you don't have the wet towel cooling down your warm hide temps.

Pinky81

Ok then I would say take the extra towels out...I usually get the best temps when I have one layer of paper towel over the UTH..my guess is the wet towels are cooling it off.

Make yourself a moist hide and place it either in the middle of the viv or on cool side...Mine is on the cool side and my guys use it when shedding..thats it.

When changing your towels make sure you keep and eye on the temps closely as you don't know how your temps will react...doubtful it will get tooo hot but it could.

I find in the winter i need infared lighting to keep temps at the right level, due to my apartment being 65 degrees all the time.

Visit our friends