GRAIN MITES IN YOU MEAL WORMS?

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Grain mites are becoming increasingly bothersome on stored grain and processed feed. Numerous elevators, feed lots, and feed producers have reported tremendous numbers of mites crawling in and around bagged commodities, stored grain, and processed bulk stored feed. This is primarily due to the wet, hot, humid conditions we have been experiencing this summer, in addition to hold-over corn going out of condition.

Infestation
Mites thrive at 14% moisture content (MC) and can become serious problems when grain moistures are in the range of 15-18%. This in turn can lead to insect and mold problems. Mites, mold, and fungus feeding insects (hairy fungus beetle and foreign grain beetle) often can be found together. The grain mite can feed on fungi associated with stored grain, Aspergillus flavus being a favorite.

The most common mite is the grain mite Acarus siro. It feeds on the germ of damaged grains and, if grain is moldy, will attack the endosperm. It cannot penetrate undamaged grains. Thus, cleaning of grain and removing fines prior to storage is very important for mite management.

Mite populations can explode when they feed on wheat germ, yeast, cheese, powdered milk, flour, or grain. In finely ground commodities such as flour and powdered milk, infestations are confined to the surface layer. Whole or cracked grains and nuts may be infested throughout.

Heavily infested grain and feed become tainted and unpalatable as animal feed. When fed infested commodity, small companion animals (e.g., dogs) can show reduced feed intake, diarrhea, inflammation of the small intestine, and impaired growth. Pigs that consume mite-infested feed have their live-weight gain, feed:gain ratio, and nitrogen retention markedly reduced.

Prevention
Unfortunately, once large numbers of mites are noted, control is difficult if not impossible. Prevention of infestation is the key and can be achieved by drying and maintaining commodities at 13% MC or below. In cereal/feed production where the final moisture content is high, ingredients should be critically examined before mixing air-dried diets and, when possible, dried to remove excess moisture. Contamination during storage must be avoided (cleansing and disinfection of stores, prevention of breaking packaging seals, etc.). Sanitation is the key to prevention.

Control of Moderate Infestations
There are few pesticide solutions to this problem. If infestations are extremely heavy, infested products should be destroyed.

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
thank you for this post!! The way I managed to control my infestation was to dump the "queen colonies" of grain mites in the trash then just using raid over the surface they were at for several days and spraying raid under the only surviving tub to prevent the mites from coming in. In the end the mites didnt really die fast, you had to REALLY spray them to work and so it took a while. I am sure there might still be mites in my remaining colony, but not enough for them to be visible.
Another thing I did during the "raid" period I took all moisture out of the containers for about a week which caused the mites to move and thats when I prayed them LOL
I just hope they never come back! If your wondering the raid I used is soposto be plant friendly and other so its not very powerful.
Thanks again :)

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Take with a grain of salt.

thank you for this post!! The way I managed to control my infestation was to dump the "queen colonies" of grain mites in the trash then just using raid over the surface they were at for several days and spraying raid under the only surviving tub to prevent the mites from coming in. In the end the mites didnt really die fast, you had to REALLY spray them to work and so it took a while. I am sure there might still be mites in my remaining colony, but not enough for them to be visible.
Another thing I did during the "raid" period I took all moisture out of the containers for about a week which caused the mites to move and thats when I prayed them LOL
I just hope they never come back! If your wondering the raid I used is soposto be plant friendly and other so its not very powerful.

I never caught what GRAIN you are using.
But I now use LAYER HEN CRUMBLES.......
Less problems then some of the fine or cracked others + has some additives......
NOTE, ***Do Not Get Chick Starter. Looks the same.
It usually has a couple chemicals in it. (says not for laying hens)
I see that label as NOT FOR LAYING GECKOS.......
Skin side down on all moisture items or
don't cut them in half...(set on top..)
Never take right from the fridge, as they bring skin moisture with
them and possible moisture problems for the top of the grain....
Orange peel(no flesh) works wonders on the worms.
Corn Husks on top (in season) is a great "harvesting tool".....
meal worms crawl in the husks, shake the tree and
watch the (meal) apples fall.....take care.. HJ.........

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Addition to Grain Mite Problems

Hey, good addition to the Mite information.....Hope people will read into your post for solving their problem, if prevention wasn't effective........take care.....

S

Snowy & Petra de Gecko

Grain Mites

What is the effect of putting the mealworm bedding into the oven at 250 for about 30 minutes?

fOOlsgOld

I'm really glad someone started this thread. I just had to throw out the cup (and left over mealworms) because I had heard to use baby carrots to 'water' the worms with and when I went to get some more out it looked like the cup was about to get up and walk away:shocked:

My question is this.... I have aliens and beetles in other containers that I got FROM this cup, do I have to discard them also? Would they have 'brought' the mites with them when I picked them out of the infested cup? Just trying to figure out how far I have to go to start my colony over. If I can get by with just getting new worms to feed w/ out having to destroy my aliens and beetles that would be great news. If not then I'll just be a sad panda lol. Thanks for any info.

~~~Shannon

Visit our friends