Heat bulb question

Troy L

I am using a 75w infered heat bulb over my leo setup. The bulb seems to be way to hot at 75w. The hotspot in the tank gets upwards of 100* My question is can you use a dimmer switch to cut the power so that the bulb puts off less heat? We are planning a new setup either gonna do an exo terra or build a viv out of melamine board. I know melamine holds the temps alot better then glass aquariums. any suggestion would be great.

Troy

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
For the money a lower wattage infra red or moonlight bulb would run you about the same price if not a little less than a rheostat or diimmer imo. Is the bulb the only heat source you use? BUT to answer your question yes you could use a dimmer to lessen the output of your current bulb.

Troy L

The infared is just to use to make the hot spot. I use flex-watt tape for the UTH. With the lamp on it I keep the hotspot right at 90's during the day. Then at night the temp drops down around 75-80 depending on the room temps. I keep my house colder then most. Usually house is arounf 65-68 in the winter. Helps keep the heating bill alot lower.

Troy

roger

The infared is just to use to make the hot spot. I use flex-watt tape for the UTH. With the lamp on it I keep the hotspot right at 90's during the day. Then at night the temp drops down around 75-80 depending on the room temps. I keep my house colder then most. Usually house is arounf 65-68 in the winter. Helps keep the heating bill alot lower.

Troy

I'm confused.Why do u think u need the lamp when u have the heat tape.?All the leo needs is a surface temp of 95 deg.thats what your heat taape is for IMO all u need is the heat tape.i wouldnt use the infrared

Troy L

Thought it would be better to get an ambiet temp of 85-90 as well as belly heat. The cold side of my tank is actually cooler then I thought. The hot side is 91.x and the cold side is setting at 70 during the day. Isnt 70 to cold for them even on the cool side of the tank? It is a 20 long setup.

Visit our friends