Heat mat and glass tank

Vik89

How do you have your heat mats positioned if you have a glass tank?
I have read they should not be stuck to the glass as it could cause the glass to crack.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I hve never seen a glass bottom tank crack from the heat mat being stuck to it and I have had one in my son's snake tank like that for 3 years before he was moved to a slate bottom tank, plus my own 20 long with my tortoise for 10-ish years that now holds my gecko and haven't had any issues with cracking.

Dakota_Ghost

I have my heat mat taped to the bottom of my glass tank with no issues. There is a danger of cracking the glass if the heatmat over heats. You need to let air get to it. It's also a fire risk to have a really heavy tank sitting on a heatmat. To avoid this, I would raise the tank up a little bit. Perhaps place "feet" at the corners. My tank is 4ft long, so I had to make a base for this.

GeckoDude31

If it were to crack the glass, I do not think the heat mat manufactures would be say to put it on the glass, as they do. I will try and post a picture of a custom stand I made so the uth can have air flow on the bottom.

Vik89

If it were to crack the glass, I do not think the heat mat manufactures would be say to put it on the glass, as they do. I will try and post a picture of a custom stand I made so the uth can have air flow on the bottom.

Thanks for the replys, that would be great if you could.

Visit our friends