heat related behaivor

phantom12321

I have had a leopard gecko before, but it has been a little while since my last one past. I setup my tank again, critter carpet, a hot hide, a cool hide, (putting a moist hide in tomorrow) water bowl and mealworm bowl, a zoo med UTH which seems to get the temp up around 80-85 and a 75 red bulb that seems to mediate it up around 90 or 95 quite nicely.

I brought my new gecko home the day before yesterday. She is 8 months old and is a healthy, lively little character. I could tell she was a bit stressed and was very happy to get out of the container she came in from the breeder. However, today she seems more relaxed, slept in the cool hide all day and then this evening came out and ate the mealworms I offered.

I notice however she is spending 85 to 90 percent of the time in the cool side of the cage. Is this normal? Perhaps is it a sign that that side is too warm?
At first I thought maybe it had the better hide, it being a neat little rock structure, and the woodlog that's sort of a trumpet shape on the hot side not giving quite as much cover, so I swapped them, but now she is in the wood on the cool side or kind of hiding behind it a lot of the time.

Is there anythign I should be concerned about? or do Leos spend that much time keeping to the cool side of the cage?

Daedric1

Mine tend to do the exact type of thing you describe. Most often, they go and sit on the warm side after eating for a few hours. I believe heat aids in their digestion of food.

roger

I have had a leopard gecko before, but it has been a little while since my last one past. I setup my tank again, critter carpet, a hot hide, a cool hide, (putting a moist hide in tomorrow) water bowl and mealworm bowl, a zoo med UTH which seems to get the temp up around 80-85 and a 75 red bulb that seems to mediate it up around 90 or 95 quite nicely.

I brought my new gecko home the day before yesterday. She is 8 months old and is a healthy, lively little character. I could tell she was a bit stressed and was very happy to get out of the container she came in from the breeder. However, today she seems more relaxed, slept in the cool hide all day and then this evening came out and ate the mealworms I offered.

I notice however she is spending 85 to 90 percent of the time in the cool side of the cage. Is this normal? Perhaps is it a sign that that side is too warm?
At first I thought maybe it had the better hide, it being a neat little rock structure, and the woodlog that's sort of a trumpet shape on the hot side not giving quite as much cover, so I swapped them, but now she is in the wood on the cool side or kind of hiding behind it a lot of the time.

Is there anythign I should be concerned about? or do Leos spend that much time keeping to the cool side of the cage?

every leo is different.what your describing is normal.leos will thermo regulate.If its too warm on one spot they will nudge over to where its just right temp to digest

Visit our friends