Heating a wooden cage?

justin91

Hello, I recently got rid of my bearded dragons, now I'm left with a 6x2x2 wooden enclosure. I was wanting to split it in half and make each side the equivalent to a 40 gallon breeder to house my leopard geckos. But I don't know how to heat the cage. Is it safe to put a heat mat on the wood? I just don't know how to heat it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here's a picture of the cage. Thanks

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
I imagine you could put a heat mat on the wood and lay tile over it. If your really worried lay two layers of tile with the heat mat in between them. Tile is cheap :)

BrightReptiles

Badhabits727
I've housed as many as 1 male and 6 females in a 40long tank, you should be fine. I would suggest having a backup plan for each male if they pester the females too much. Also, make sure you quarantine the animals for at minimum one month, preferably three to six months.

justin91

Yeah I have plenty of spare tanks in case I need to separate them. I already have the three for one side, I've had them for almost a year. I was going to get another group soon from the reptile expo. I'm hoping to get bell super snow albinos.

Visit our friends