Heating a wooden vivarium

derby_gecko

Hi, first post, great forum!

I have had a look and there seems to be conflicting reports so I thought I'd try and get an up to date answer from some of the Gecko-Gurus, hope that's OK!

I have a wooden viv with the usual sliding glass doors (no Geckos yet).

In the past I have had glass tanks and used heat pads underneath as usual, but what is the best way to heat the wooden vivs? Is it safe to use a pad inside the viv? I was thinking about using silicon to try and seal the connection (from pad to power wire) a little more substantially, then putting a layer of lino over the pad, I also assume I'd need to use a thermostat, does this sound right?

Does anyone use a wooden viv with a pad inside?

I'd really appreciate any input on this, thanks :)

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I don't use a wooden viv but I do have a couple ideas for you. First... cobra heat mats are water resistant. They can't be submerged but they can handle being misted or pee'd on. If I had a situation where I couldn't put a mat under a viv I would do a princess and the pea type set up. Get a few 12x12 porcelain floor tiles to build up a little bit so if you do have excessive moisture on your tank floor it won't be sitting in water. I imagine 5 should work (my plan for my son's slate bottom tank is 4 12x12 with 1x1 smaller tiles in between on the corners for more elevation and breathing gap) then simply place your uth between the last 2 layers of tile on the top. Now you have a nice elevated heated space to place hides for yur herp, and the cooler side for your gradient.

Another option would be to suspend heat panels from the inside of the viv from the wood. Here's a link to heat panels: http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/heat-pads-heat-panels-heat-cable-and-rocks/-/mini-helix-radiant-heat-panel/

Heat panels would provide ambient heat and not your best option in the long run for an animal that depends on belly heat for proper digestion. You could also affix a type of "spot" light if needed to increase the temps in a certain area to make a spot with belly heat just don't use a UV emitting spot light. Use infra red or the like insted plz. Heat panels is also a nice way to make up heat shortages if your uth isn't getting it hot enough for your leo.

So overall I would suggest the tiles with the uth first but make sure the uth is MOISTURE resistant...

Hope this helps :)

derby_gecko

Great stuff, thanks for the info.

I think I'm edging towards your first suggestion, it sounds ideal.

I'm off to get some supplies today and I already have a probe type thermometer so I'll do some testing later on. I don't have the leos yet, so I've got plenty of time to get the viv right first.

Thanks for your help :)

Visit our friends