Heating? Ambient Vs. Substrate

bigeddie

Rookie
Hey, Im a new leopard gecko owner and have a question about ambient and substrate heating. I have a normal 15 gallon glass tank. I am using carpet as a substrate and have a zoo med uth. I also have a 150 watt heating fixture with a 75 watt night bulb. My question is what is more important, the temp of the ambient air or the substrate? I would like the ambient air temp to be the same as the substrate temp but it seems like its not going to happen. I have a thermostat to control the uth, but since my fixture and uth are different watts, i cant use the thermostat for both. When I use just the uth, the substrate temp is good, but the ambient air temp and cool side substrate temp is low. So i tried to use the fixture to raise the ambient air temp, but when i used both, the hot side reaches 110F. I really dont want to use just the fixture because ive learned belly temp is very important. So i guess im asking is if it is possible to use a uth to heat the substrat while at the same time using the heating fixture to heat the ambient air temp without raising the temp to a dangerous level?

Am I ok just using the uth with my therostat to control the substrate temp on the hot side, even if the ambient temp is low as well as the cool side substrate?

Thanks!

fl_orchidslave

Just floor temp is what leopards need to be 90-95 degrees on the warm side. Ambient is unimportant. If the air temp is being heated with lights, it can dry out the cage to the point of having shed issues, even with a humid hide.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Just floor temp is what leopards need to be 90-95 degrees on the warm side. Ambient is unimportant. If the air temp is being heated with lights, it can dry out the cage to the point of having shed issues, even with a humid hide.
+1 Leopard geckos need belly heat in order for their metabolism, digestive and immune systems to function properly.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Ditto what the other 2 posters have said plus using lighting can cause your leo a lot of undue stress.

Visit our friends