Heating Cool Side

clemsonguy1125

Ive got my gecko in a 10 gallon and plan to upgrade to a 20 long. Right now Ive got a UTH with a rheostat turned all the way down and the arm sides at around 91. My gecko sleeps in her warm side and sleeps most of the night in her warm hide. Is this normal? The cool side is in the low 70's. Should I increase the temperature on the cool side? If so how?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Leave the cool side alone and increase the temps in the warm side to about 93-95 to see if she is more active. Some just like it HOT :)

Also if she has enough room to move in the hot side hide to reach a cooler spot she won't migrate much to regulate her temps. So her constantly staying in her hot hide tells me she
s either not warm enough or the hide is too big. I know the hot hide I have is too big, it takes up the entire width of a 20 long, it's a piece of slate, so I know Eros has enough room to lay around the edges of the UTH under neath it and have a lower temp, or he can lay directly ON the uth and have 93-95 temps. If I put the probe on the edge of the hide where I know i's cooler it registers in the mid 80's.

Last edited:

clemsonguy1125

That makes since, is is a large hide and the temps vary greatly, once side is 93 while the other hets into the high 80's. I had it at 96 but her stomach turned pink. I decresed to the low 90's but its still a little pink so I think thats just her belly color.Ill probably cuttom make hides for her 20 long. I dont even know why I got a 10 g in the first place.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Belly getting pink doesn't necessarily mean it's getting burnt tho, warmer body, higher blood flow. Could just be that.

clemsonguy1125

That probably it, it was the second day I had her and I get kind of OCD over my pets so I panicked and reduced the heat. The other problem is my house temp isnt constant. So if I set it at 95, in the after noon it could hit 98.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
98 isn't horrid. Temp is variable from one leo to another. Some like it hot, some like it cooler. I back mine off at 98 but Eros averages about 95 24/7 on his hot side.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
We don't even have our heat on here yet. House stays around 64 and I have his blue night light on 24/7 with the uth. Usually we only see about 3 degrees change in his tank from day to night so ambient house temps aren't gonna affect it to terribly much imo.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
well then maybe if you're that OCD about it you might want to invest in a thermostat where you can set a hi temp and a low temp. Ive seen them for around $30

Visit our friends