Heating help please!

minball200

Hi everyone!

I purchased my gecko around a week ago and He has a full setup with an uth .

The warm side of his cage stays around 90-92.

But I noticed that my house is staying constently in the mid 60's lately and I have read that that is to cool for him.

So I bought a lamp and a 40 W Daylight Blue reptile bulb that has raised it to about 72.

Does this sound okay to you guys? and what do I do at night?

Also do you think he is okay from the few nights of coldness he had.

Thanks so much!

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
Are the high temperatures what you're reading on substrate? And the 70s temps what the air temperature is? What are you using to read the temperature?

{Sent from Samsung Epic via Tapatalk}

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
room temp is fine for the cool end. the gradient in temperature will allow your animal to stay at the optimal temperature for its preferences. the light will most likely make the gecko stop feeding from what i've read on the forum... at least 90% of people with geckos that don't eat are using a light.
coincidence?
i think not.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
Light COULD effect the gecko, but just from personal experience EVERY lizard has its own preferences. Me oldest leo used to bask in the heat lamp when he was younger. Now he could live in a closet & not care about light. BUT that was prbably cuz I didn't have a UTH for him back then.

minball200

What should I do then?

Because without the lamp the temp on the cool side drops to like 65 degrees.

minball200

Also he isn't eating at all,since I had him,before the light.

That is one reason I bought the heat light < thought maybe the cool side was too cool.

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
If the 90-92 is a stable temp on the floor of the tank where the uth is, then he should be fine. You could try switching to an infrared bulb instead of a regular one to keep the air temperature up.

Visit our friends