Heating Problem

Pebbles

I am using an UTH on the bottom of the tank, but the temperature has only reached 80 degrees on that side of the tank. The temperature on my cool side reads 78 degrees. What can I do to increase the temperature on the warm side of the tank? And does the temperature need to be lower on the cool side? How would I do that?

fl_orchidslave

You need to be using a digital probe thermometer, with probe attached to the floor to get an accurate measurement. They are available at pet shops for around $10. Cool side temp is fine.

Pebbles

I bought a digital thermometer with a probe and it says the warm side is 85 degrees. I also bought a 75 watt black light bulb which helped heat it a little, but I'm afraid the tank is still not warm enough and I'm not sure what else to do..Any ideas?

Russ S

Re-Member
For a 20 long you would probably need a UTH designed for a 30-40 gallon tank to get the proper temperatures. I would also recommend using a controller with the larger UTH.

Pebbles

I was able to buy a thermostat controller before I had a chance to buy a bigger UTH, so the controller has definitely helped raise the temperature. I noticed that when I put the thermometer probe right above the UTH the temperature would get to 95. When I had the thermometer probe more near the backside of the tank on the warm side, the temperature read 84.

I am wondering, where am I supposed to be placing the probe to get the most accurate reading? Should the whole warm side be 95 degrees? Do you still recommend replacing the smaller UTH with the bigger one?

fl_orchidslave

You want to measure your direct heat source, over the heat mat. Sounds like a good temp now. In cold weather there may be issues again with keeping it warm enough. It would be a good idea to get a larger UTH to be prepared. If you want to go ahead and use it now, the thermostat will keep it from heating up too much after it's adjusted to the desired range.

roger

You want to measure your direct heat source, over the heat mat. Sounds like a good temp now. In cold weather there may be issues again with keeping it warm enough. It would be a good idea to get a larger UTH to be prepared. If you want to go ahead and use it now, the thermostat will keep it from heating up too much after it's adjusted to the desired range.

Just to add what laney has told u.Measure the temps right under the warm hide since thats where at least my leos like to hide

Visit our friends