Heating Question

mattbroomer2000

I am setting up a habitat for a leopard gecko. I am obviously going to get everything ready, running and tested before getting the gecko. I am confused about the heating.

I have been reading about the heating required and advise seems to differ.

I have read that you should use basking lamps, but this doesn’t seem right as I have read that leopard gecko are nocturnal. So it needs to be dark at night.

Some say to use infra red lamps as they run 24 hours a day to keep the correct temperature.

I have also read that gecko will use the heat of rocks during the night so a heat mat is the only way to go. But it has been suggested that heat mats burn the gecko. Also this wont heat the air as much as a lamp.

Please can you explain what combination to use and why it is the correct method in terms of being most suited to the leopard gecko. Also do UV lamps add any value?

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
You should use a UTH because they need belly heat to help digestion. To control the temperature, you can use something like a dimmer switch, thermostat or rheostat.They don't need a basking spot.

mattbroomer2000

You should use a UTH because they need belly heat to help digestion. To control the temperature, you can use something like a dimmer switch, thermostat or rheostat.They don't need a basking spot.

Thankyou for your reply.

I assume you need to adjust the substrate depth to ensure the temperature is evenly spread to prevent burning?

Also the thermometer temperature probe needs to be taped near the centre of the heat source at the surface?

Visit our friends