Help with heating?

marraeco8311

I have a 20 gallon long tank. It has a new 6x8 uth and a red night light on top with a bulb for a much larger tank than it is supposed to need. The temp in the house is 69degrees. I can't get the tank area about the repticarpet that is right on top of the uth and right under the red light to get above 75 degrees or so. I didn't plan on getting one until after my deployment but, I found him and really wanted him. I just got him last night from someone wanting to switch to snakes and I know that I want to spoil him but, I just can't seem to get the right temps in the tank for some reason. Any tips? He seems okay still he does pretty much stay right on top of the uth and underneath one of the hidalogs.

Kolkri

This is my Pumpkin
What is the room temp? I had to add a space heater in the same area I keep my Pumpkin so I could get the temp above 80. Now it is staying at 90 with the use of my space heater, red light on 24 hours and the UTH.
Can you do that?

marraeco8311

I have been starting yesterday, red light 24 hours and uth. I keep the space heater in the room during the day but, it goes in our own room at night. I may have to get one to keep in the living room all night but, it's more than I planned on spending if I don't have too. If I can supplement just tank heating I would prefer. The room goes to about 73 during the day with the space heater but, the tank is still only hitting about 78 or so with that. I am confused. She seems okay though. Still getting up and moving around but, the temps just are not coming up to what I would like.

Latlaw

I think it's your thermometer or where you have it placed. You have the exact set up as me and I have my thermostat set to 92 and it reaches that temp easily. Is your temp probe taped on the carpet directly over the UTH? I have 20 gal longs, house temp of 69, UTH, and 40 watt infrared bulb placed on screen. I did have plexiglass cut to fit half the screen top and that helped raise my ambient temps. I turn off the red light at night for a small temp drop and my leo's are doing great with that.

marraeco8311

I think I got it, the stupid cheap temp gauges suck. I used one of my chemistry set thermometers on the carpet and it's great. 90 one end 70 the other! YAY!!! stupid cheap thermometers had me worried. Thanks for all your guys help

Latlaw

I think I got it, the stupid cheap temp gauges suck. I used one of my chemistry set thermometers on the carpet and it's great. 90 one end 70 the other! YAY!!! stupid cheap thermometers had me worried. Thanks for all your guys help

Glad ya got it figured out! Those temp issues can drive you crazy. I know.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
I recommend buying the Zoomed digital thermometers at the pet stores. They are about $5-7 dollars and they work great! You just have to make sure you place it over the UTH to get a correct reading. I use them on all of my tanks and have never had a problem.

Visit our friends