HERPSTAT II-# of available outlets?

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Does anyone know how many plugs I'm able to plug into this? I need a thermostat for at least 6 strips of heat tape. (I'm open to other reccomendations also)

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Well a Herpstat 2 has 2 plugs... however it can support so much wattage so what wattage are you doing and are you trying to keep all 6 different temps or the same?

Not # of plugs...I need to know # of outlets.

I currently have a regular Herpstat, but that only allows me to plug in 3 strips of heat tape. I actually want to run 3 more strips.

It's just 4 inch heat tape, and each run is only 3 feet long, I believe it's only like 8 watts/ foot, so Im nowhere near the wattage limit.

I just need 6 outlets instead of 3....so I wanted to know if the herpstat 2 was capable of accomodating that?

And All 6 strips will be kept at the same temperature.

roger

Not # of plugs...I need to know # of outlets.

I currently have a regular Herpstat, but that only allows me to plug in 3 strips of heat tape. I actually want to run 3 more strips.

It's just 4 inch heat tape, and each run is only 3 feet long, I believe it's only like 8 watts/ foot, so Im nowhere near the wattage limit.

I just need 6 outlets instead of 3....so I wanted to know if the herpstat 2 was capable of accomodating that?

And All 6 strips will be kept at the same temperature.

Im not sure about the herpstat 2 I have the regular herpstat,it only allows room for 3 plug ins.Can u make each run 6 ' ?.thats what I have done

Last edited:

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Im not sure about the herpstat 2 I have the regular herpstat,it only allows room for 3 plug ins.Can u make each run 6 ' ?.thats what I have done

I was talking to RAlbrect last night, and we decided that I would order longer lengths of heat tape and snake it like an "S" from shelf to shelf.

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
Another option that I use is to use a spliter to change the number of plugs. This way you can still have a cord for each shelf. I'm also looking into wireing a rack to have switches on each of the shelves so that I can turn them off when I'm not using them.

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
I thought of that, but I dont want it to look like The Christmas Story or Christmas Vacation, lol. I think Roger told me it was a fire hazard?

Fencer04

Long Island Geckos
I use UL rated short extension cords that have 3 plugs on them. I can't see why it would be a fire hazard especially since you aren't even going close to the max wattage rating.

The cords can have appliances connected to them, I highly doubt that 20 total feet of heat tape is going to do anything.

roger

I was talking to RAlbrect last night, and we decided that I would order longer lengths of heat tape and snake it like an "S" from shelf to shelf.

TLBOWLING _ If u want I can show u pics of my rack and the heat tape.Do yourself a favor and make a 5" groove wide and a 1/8" deep groove to sink your tape in.that way the tub doesnt even touch the tape making the heat tape last longer so the tape doesnt get worn down.How long is each run? I wouldnt make it too long. I did the same thing and i noticed towards the end of the tape its cooler thus making the tubs at the end of the lenght cooler

Last edited:

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
TLBOWLING _ If u want I can show u pics of my rack and the heat tape.Do yourself a favor and make a 5" groove wide and a 1/8" deep groove to sink your tape in.that way the tub doesnt even touch the tape making the heat tape last longer so the tape doesnt get worn down.How long is each run? I wouldnt make it too long. I did the same thing and i noticed towards the end of the tape its cooler thus making the tubs at the end of the lenght cooler

Roger- I wouldnt even know HOW to make a groove:main_laugh: I've used hammers, screwdrivers, nail guns and drills...but NEVER any type of saw ;)
My rack is functional, but is still a work in progress. I currently have 3-3 foot shelves, and am using the 16qt tubs (3 on tubs each level)...but I personally think they are too small (and besides that I need 12 bins now:p).
So Im going to do 6- 3 foot shelves, with 2- 28 quart bins on each level. But that is where my original question came in...I'm currently using 3- 3 foot lengths of 4" heat tape on each shelf, each with it's own plug. But the herpstat only have 3 available outlets, so I was thinking just to get 3 - 7.5 foot lengths of heat tape and make 3 sideways "U"s...do you think 7.5 feet is too much to heat...I dont want anyone getting cold :)
PS I think I saw your "groovy" rack in another post somewhere on here...but you can post it again.

With instructions :)

Last edited:

roger

Roger- I wouldnt even know HOW to make a groove:main_laugh: I've used hammers, screwdrivers, nail guns and drills...but NEVER any type of saw ;)
My rack is functional, but is still a work in progress. I currently have 3-3 foot shelves, and am using the 16qt tubs (3 on tubs each level)...but I personally think they are too small (and besides that I need 12 bins now:p).
So Im going to do 6- 3 foot shelves, with 2- 28 quart bins on each level. But that is where my original question came in...I'm currently using 3- 3 foot lengths of 4" heat tape on each shelf, each with it's own plug. But the herpstat only have 3 available outlets, so I was thinking just to get 3 - 7.5 foot lengths of heat tape and make 3 sideways "U"s...do you think 7.5 feet is too much to heat...I dont want anyone getting cold :)
PS I think I saw your "groovy" rack in another post somewhere on here...but you can post it again.

With instructions :)

no 7.5 feet is good.i have 2 21foot pcs and it works good.I'll put up pics of my rack . i need to take some pics so stay tuned

roger

Here is a pic of my rack.i used a metal bracket to stop the tubs from going too far.i changed things up.I tape the heat tape down with aluminum foil right along the clear edge of the tape.i used to use push pins along the clear edge of the tape but it didnt keep the tape real flat as u can see.My brother is a professional cabinet maker so he made it for me no charge

Last edited:

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
Here is a pic of my rack.i used a metal bracket to stop the tubs from going too far.i changed things up.I tape the heat tape down with aluminum foil right along the clear edge of the tape.i used to use push pins along the clear edge of the tape but it didnt keep the tape real flat as u can see.My brother is a professional cabinet maker so he made it for me no charge

WOW...You really must go through ALOT of margarine and cool whip, lol:p Is that what those hide containers are?

Anyway...WOW Roger!!!! You really have a nice rack:main_thumbsup:

I wish I had one like that! What size tubs are you using?

PS ... As far as routing goes....my tape is taped down with foil tape, and the tubs kind of have their own lift, the bottom of the tub doesnt actually touch the heat tape, just the little legs of the tubs are sliding over the tape...do you think that will wear it out? What if I just lift them slightly as I take them in and out? or line that particular area with foil tape?

Last edited:

roger

WOW...You really must go through ALOT of margarine and cool whip, lol:p Is that what those hide containers are?

Anyway...WOW Roger!!!! You really have a nice rack:main_thumbsup:

I wish I had one like that! What size tubs are you using?

PS ... As far as routing goes....my tape is taped down with foil tape, and the tubs kind of have their own lift, the bottom of the tub doesnt actually touch the heat tape, just the little legs of the tubs are sliding over the tape...do you think that will wear it out? What if I just lift them slightly as I take them in and out? or line that particular area with heat tape?

yeah they are margarine containers.I use the 2221 rubbermaid containers.they are the large sweater boxes.I would put extra foil tape just where the legs rub against the tape.post pics id like to see your set up

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
yeah they are margarine containers.I use the 2221 rubbermaid containers.they are the large sweater boxes.I would put extra foil tape just where the legs rub against the tape.post pics id like to see your set up

I'll put the extra layer of foil tape where the container legs rub:main_thumbsup: Easier than any routing...I'll post pics as soon as Im satisfied with my set up...like I said...its still a work in progress;)

Thanks for all your help Roger, you are always a wonderful help!

roger

I'll put the extra layer of foil tape where the container legs rub:main_thumbsup: Easier than any routing...I'll post pics as soon as Im satisfied with my set up...like I said...its still a work in progress;)

Thanks for all your help Roger, you are always a wonderful help!

No problem Pm me if u have any questions

Visit our friends