Housing Dilemma

Insubordinate

The situation: I adopted two leo's a while ago, both of them being female. One is 5 years and the other is about a year and a half. They have been housed together since they were able to. I was given both in a 20g, and I have since purchased a 75g to hold them both. They have always had great behavior together (they like to go into the same hides, walk around each other fine, etc). Just as of recently, I have noticed the older leo bite the younger one on more than a few occasions.
It started when I would feed them mealworms from a dish (i used to feed crickets often) -- the older leo would come to the dish first, eat a few worms, and when the younger leo would come up to get some food, the older leo would nip at her until she was getting her fill. I've been noticing more recently that the older leo will nip at the younger one while she would just be walking by. It looks to me like it's becoming bullying (because there doesn't seem to be any real reason for it to happen).
So here's the dilemma ... I have two tanks and am thinking of separating them (temporarily?). Would you give the leo with more seniority (older leo) the bigger 75g tank even though she is the "bullying" one? Or would you give the younger, picked on leo the bigger 'better' tank?

Also, if I could get some suggestions regarding my situation, that would be great. Thanks! :main_thumbsup:

Jordan

well i think maybe the bully needs to move into a 'naughty box' lol.

OR, if the bullied one stays in such a big enclosure alone, after being bullied it may be very daunting and make her feel insecure.

BUT, if the bullied one is moved, then she has to settle into the new home, so there may be a week of not eating, so if she's not getting her food due to bullying then it may be best to leave her where she is and move the bully.

AND, whoever really moves is goiing to have to settle in, so if any of them are bad eaters, moving them will make them worse for a bit.

i think the bully should move. As the victim must be very stressed already, moving her could add to that stress.

roger

I would put the one thats bullying into the bigger tank.i would also put tons of hide spaces for the smaller one thats being bullied.Its gonna want a lot of hides to escape to.

fl_orchidslave

Before moving one, since the tank is so big, I would add another food dish and see what happens. Not close to the other dish, like near where the younger one prefers to be. If that doesn't work out, move the older one out. She has eaten more and will adjust even if she goes off food for a bit. You have confirmed they are both females? If you end up having to separate them, try not to worry during the adjustment period :)

Visit our friends