Housing question

Rell18

Is a 15 gallon long tank suitable for a baby or full grown leo? I would get a 20 gallon but my dresser isn't very long and the largest cage it can really fit is a 15 gallon which is about 24 x 12 x 12.

For heating, I was going to use a under tank heating pad attached to a thermostat and a red bulb for the cool side in the fall and winter. What wattage of a red bulb do you recommend so that I don't burn my leo?

Also, what size uth should I use for my leo? I plan on using the zoo med 6 x 8 or 8 x 12 but which would better with the 15 gallon?

Last edited:

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
A 15 gallon tank is suitabe for an adult leo, not sure about a baby. I've read that some get intimidated by larger tanks and it is suggested to use more hides for babies in larger tanks but an adult leo should be fine. Some keep adults in 10 gallons, most that I have seen use 20 long tanks since they don't need added height.

As far as lighting, you don't really want to heat your cool side. It should stay room temperature and provide that gradient you need from hot to cold side. The subject of using lighting to suppliment heat is a questionable one and subject to debate. some will say no light is needed, others disagree. The best thing there is to read a lot of different opinions and make an educated decision. What I know based on my xperience from my leo is the red light seemed to bother him more than the blue light of the same wattage. With the red, when I needed to suppliment heat, he wouldn't be as active, whereas with the blue moonlight bulb he would happily come out ane explore when it was on. It could just be concidence but I don't use the red anymore if I need to suppliment heat or put some extra heat on his moist humid hide.

The uth should cover about 1/3rd the tank floor surface. Depending on what type of substrait you use you might want to go a little higher wattage/next size up from what is recommended for your tank esp. if using ceramic, porcelain, or slate tiles.

Last edited:

lovelovelove135

Also, what size uth should I use for my leo? I plan on using the zoo med 6 x 8 or 8 x 12 but which would better with the 15 gallon?

I have a 20 gallon long tank and the dimensions are 30x12x12, but I use the 8x12 because the 10/20 gallon heater looked way too small. It says 10/20, but when you look at it, it doesn't look like it can heat up much. I'm glad I got the 30/40 gallon (8x12) one because the heater doesn't really heat the area around it. It only heats whatever is directly on the heater. I don't know if you already knew that, but I thought the heat would spread throughout that half of the tank, but it didn't. It just heats the area directly on the heating pad. Any area around it is definitely not as warm. I have the Zilla temperature controller, and it's been working fine, except I have to set it to 89/90 degrees to get it down to 94. I'm not sure if it's because the heating pad is bigger, or because it's just off from what the thermometer says. So if you get the Zilla temperature controller for your thermostat, you have to fiddle around with it. In conclusion, I would get the 8x12. A 15 gallon tank isn't THAT much bigger than a 20 gallon. The heater would also fit perfectly. Hope I helped :)

Rell18

As far as lighting, you don't really want to heat your cool side. It should stay room temperature and provide that gradient you need from hot to cold side.

I think it would be a pretty bad idea to keep the cool side at room temperature because of where we live. Our house can get to about 60 degrees in the fall and winter because we don't always turn our heat on. That's why I was going to get an extra heating source to heat the cool side into the mid 70s, but only in the colder months. In the spring and summer, I won't need it.

Reborn

I think it would be a pretty bad idea to keep the cool side at room temperature because of where we live. Our house can get to about 60 degrees in the fall and winter because we don't always turn our heat on. That's why I was going to get an extra heating source to heat the cool side into the mid 70s, but only in the colder months. In the spring and summer, I won't need it.

Dont underestimate the UTH. If you have the top covered(not screened) the heat it lets off will be trapped within the tank thus keeping it heated. I live in northern MN so i know what ya mean with the cold temps. But if you go with a screen top then a low watt bulb may help. ive only had to use mine a few times on the real cold days(like yesterday).

Rell18

Dont underestimate the UTH. If you have the top covered(not screened) the heat it lets off will be trapped within the tank thus keeping it heated. I live in northern MN so i know what ya mean with the cold temps. But if you go with a screen top then a low watt bulb may help. ive only had to use mine a few times on the real cold days(like yesterday).

I may just try that :) . And for a low watt bulb, what wattage would you recommend?

Reborn

I may just try that :) . And for a low watt bulb, what wattage would you recommend?

It really depends on your UTH. Some work better. I recommen BIG time zoo meds. I have yet to have one crap out on me and they all get the proper temps. Assuming your UTH will work as well as mine a 25watt will be plenty. I dont use heat bulbs but i use black lights. They work just as well. ive experimented with different kinds and honestly they get nearly the same. All them fancy ones are more and your paying for the name brand. I get mine from walmart or target lol. otherwise if your bent on name brands the moon glow ones are nice and the gecko cant see them(its a black lightXD)

Rell18

It really depends on your UTH. Some work better. I recommen BIG time zoo meds. I have yet to have one crap out on me and they all get the proper temps. Assuming your UTH will work as well as mine a 25watt will be plenty. I dont use heat bulbs but i use black lights. They work just as well. ive experimented with different kinds and honestly they get nearly the same. All them fancy ones are more and your paying for the name brand. I get mine from walmart or target lol. otherwise if your bent on name brands the moon glow ones are nice and the gecko cant see them(its a black lightXD)

Awesome :) . I was going to get the zoo med uth anyways because I've heard some of the other brands aren't all that good. I'm going to get a thermostat to go along with it too. As for a bulb, I'll experiment with the 15 and 25 watt bulbs. Thanks for all the help everyone ^-^

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
You're welcome. Another heat mat I'd like to suggest (if you can find it, everyone seems to be back ordered until the end lf February) the the T-Rex cobra heat mat. They operate at at constant 100 degrees, and use a much sturdier copper banding-ish kind of material insted of copper filament like what is in most other uth's. I use the cobra and love it. I have the 6x11 7 watt. Before installing the rheostat we were hitting temps of upwards of 101 (much too hot for a leo) with just the uth and keeping the house heat at 66. I'm also in a cold climate, North west Pa right near lake Erie. Also even tho I do have a screen top lid I just took some tin foil and some black electrical tape and taped it over the outside top half of the screen lid to allow for more heat to be trapped. It's sometimes hard to find solid lids unless you make it yourself. If you want to try to find the cobra, some of the smaller pet shops I know carry them, the bigger chain stores have them available but on line only according to Pet-marts site (IDK about pet co tho) also available on line at LLL Reptile and reptimart.com but like I mentioned back ordered on the first 2 sizes which is like what you'd want to go with for a 15 gallon tank.

Good luck and we'd love to see pix once you get it all together :)

Visit our friends