How do you measure the tank for tile?

prettyinpink

I'd like to pick up some tile for my 20gal tanks...but I'm not too sure how to measure it.

Last time I tried, it didn't work. I got tile for my beardie...but it measured wrong. I thought I measured the inside right...but when I put the tile in there it didn't work out right.

I have 20gals for my leos...I'm not too sure how big Kirby's is (bearded dragon).

Thanks!

tlbowling

Geck~OCD
You do have to measure the inside dimensions, but I'd even go a bit smaller than what is measured, b/c u still have to have enough room arond the edges for your finger to fit to be able to get them out to clean. I like the 6x6 tiles b/c I can take out only the dirty ones for spot cleaning, and leave the rest of the cage undisturbed. That way ur not dealing w/ large heavy tiles, I made that mistake with my beardie. And if you go with the 6x6s its easier to take them back to home depot if you need to take some off the end;) it also helps if your husband has a tile saw ;)

prettyinpink

hmm well i did that last time... but it didn't end up going too well. apparently i can't measure...

maybe if someone has the measurements of the inside of a 20gal or just how many of each tile they used would help a lot!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
20 gallon regular or 20 long? When you measure you do need to take off an extra quarter inch or so to make room for the silicon bead that is around the inside lip of the tank. that will cause you troubles every time. If it's a 20 long you'll need 2 and a half 12x12 tiles with about 1/4 inch cut off the edge of each one on one side only. Measure the inside dimension of the tank from silicon beade to silicon beade. This is why I went with vinyl tiles. I could cut them a little irregularly to make up for the silicon plus they're self adhesive and you don't need to take them out to clean anything and feeders can't get under them, they're easy to heat thru, and moisture doesn't get trapped under them making a bacteria field. just spray and wipe. If you want to see what they look like there's some pix in my photo albums of my set up, and make sure to go with the HIGH end vinyl tiles that will crack if you bend them not the flexible cheapo ones.

Visit our friends