Humidity?

LeoGirl575

Hello. I got my AFT about a month ago... And I'm wondering, how high should the humidity be? I have a humid hide that's misted daily and I also mist the entire tank daily and keep a towel partially over the cover so the water doesn't evaporate so quickly. However, it feels a little TOO humid. I'm buying a hygrometer (think that's what it's called) soon, but for now.. What are the humidity levels supposed to be at? Thanks!

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
I never measure the exact humidity in my rack systems. I mist them 2-3 times a week. I think with misting the whole tank 2-3 times a week and keeping a humid hide humid, would be perfect for your fatty! :)

Remember, they need some time to be dry too. Too much humidity can lead to respiratory problems. THis is why they should have at LEAST dry hide and humid hide.

LeoGirl575

EVen though she's always on her warm side?

Also, can fat tail geckos ovulate without a male? I'm just wondering.. Because when I got her from the breeder, he said that he wanted to sell them (her and the male) as a breeding pair, but didn't think people would want to buy them as a breeding pair, so he sold them separately. That just got me thinking... Could she be carrying fertile eggs.. Or just ovulating..? She doesn't look like she's carrying eggs. Thanks!

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
EVen though she's always on her warm side?

Also, can fat tail geckos ovulate without a male? I'm just wondering.. Because when I got her from the breeder, he said that he wanted to sell them (her and the male) as a breeding pair, but didn't think people would want to buy them as a breeding pair, so he sold them separately. That just got me thinking... Could she be carrying fertile eggs.. Or just ovulating..? She doesn't look like she's carrying eggs. Thanks!

Females can ovulate without a male. Its a seasonal thing and it is rare for fatties to be ovulating this time of year.

You can check if she is gravid by simply flipping her over. The eggs should be clearly visible if she has any. And if she is ovulating you will see one or two pink spots on her belly.

Here is a thread with pictures of ovulating and gravid females so you know what you are looking for.

http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=56343

Hope this helped! :main_thumbsup:

LeoGirl575

Thanks a lot!!! :D I heard that laying infertile eggs can be really hard in them...? If she starts laying infertile eggs, should I get a male? :/

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Laying any type of eggs is hard on a female, infertile or fertile. If you want to breed and she is ovulating then get a male. But producing infertile eggs is a natural thing their bodies do. So if she is laying infertile eggs, just make sure she is eating alot and make sure you are supplementing her food with calcium.

Also remember, when you get a new gecko dont just throw it in with your female. The new gecko should be properly quarantined. You dont want any parasites or infections spreading around to your established collection.

Visit our friends