In a 20 gal long, what size tiles did you use?

Latlaw

Need to measure it out but wondering what tile combo's did those with this tank size use? Did you grout? Sand under or lay the tile down on the tank bottom?

dpal666

I use either 6x6 or 16x16 tiles depending on the tank, if you're going to use a tile cutter to get a better fit, I'd stick with the smaller tiles ie. 8x8 or smaller.
The bigger tiles tend to break on a cutter.

If you're lucky enough to have a tile saw, any size you want will fit anything.

Don

infamousJokeR

why so serious ?
i also have a 20L (30x12) and i went with 2-12x12" pieces on the outsides and 2-6x6" in the middle.

4293504361_dce77ba61a_o.png

they fit perfectly with very little spacing and used a sanded caulking to prevent any water/poop getting down in the cracks.

Latlaw

i also have a 20L (30x12) and i went with 2-12x12" pieces on the outsides and 2-6x6" in the middle.

4293504361_dce77ba61a_o.png

they fit perfectly with very little spacing and used a sanded caulking to prevent any water/poop getting down in the cracks.

Wow! Love the look of your tank. So by using a sanded caulking, is it permanently installed in your tank? Did you put anything underneath the tile? How long did the caulking take to dry?

infamousJokeR

why so serious ?
thank you. i would say yes, it's permanently in there. i didn't put anything underneath the tile other than a few lines of caulking, and a thin strip of extra repti-carpet to raise the middle pieces up a little bit to make it all more flat since the outsides pieces were raised a little bit from the silicone sealing of the tank edges. once it was level i did about a 1/4 thick line on the cracks and then smoothed it all out. remove any excess immediately with a wet cloth if needed.

it takes about 1 hour to get the tackiness of the caulking to dry but i waited 48 hours until it was set and waterproof. you also have to give it time for the smell to go away too.

little98dime

I have one with 3 12x12 slate tiles, one cut in half. They needed some fine trimming with a ballpien hammer and chisle. Word to the wise, if you use slate, get a shop to cut it for you. I went through 3 hacksaw blades on 1 tile. Good part was that my arm got a great work out.

A

Allycat1998

I have a question, do u have to use tile? If not what can i use? :main_huh:

little98dime

you dont HAVE to, but its highly recommended. Just, stay away from loose substrates like sand, bark chips, small pebbles, coco-fiber, etc. Tiles holds heat better too and distributes it better as well.

Anejodave

You can get vinyl tiles that look like real stone for next to nothing at the big box stores. They're peel and stick so installation is a cinch. I intend to use them when I get my new tank from the glass shop

Visit our friends