Increasing Heat...

Pegasus_0

Hi guys!

After trying to figure out why my two Leo's arent eating as much as they probably should (they are eating about 4 mealworms between them every 2 days ands not eating the crickets), i have thought that it might be down to the heat or perhaps lack of in the vivarium.

I'm not sure if this is the case however as one of them spends all her time on the unheated part of the viv while the other one tends to stay in the warmer end.

Anyway, the temperature in the viv usually stays at about 80. This is when the heatmat is on (24/7), and when the low energy bulb is on. When the bulb is turned off at night, the temp drops to just over 70.

Any help on how to increase the temperature in the viv wil be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Paul

TheRed

I'm having the same problem. Even with an UTH and a heat bulb my tank still sits around 87-88 degrees. I'd like to get it up around 95 degrees somehow but don't know what to do.

biggiy05

Determination
What type of substrate are you using? I've heard that laying tin foil at the bottom of your tank then putting your substrate works really well. I use slate tile and that helps my temps because the room one of my geckos is in gets rather cold at times.

Whitey

How about upping the wattage of bulb you're using??? I assume you're probably using a 50-60 watt now, try upping it to 150???

TheRed

I just covered the UTH and the top screen with tin foil and it raised the temp about 4 degrees already. My thermometer is still slowly going up. Try that out Pegasus.
Eric

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Put some insulating material underneath the UTH, it'll force the heat to go up and not lost to the table or rack. I use 1/2 inch cork board (those used for pin-up boards).

Angel

I just covered the UTH and the top screen with tin foil and it raised the temp about 4 degrees already. My thermometer is still slowly going up. Try that out Pegasus.
Eric

I dont know I could be wrong, But I would think blocking the top screen would effect the air quality and possibly make it too humid or stagnant air {unless you are using a screen tank assuming its a glass tank} did you try the foil just on the bottom to see how much that raises it alone???

Visit our friends