Is it possible to make a cage like an Exo-Terra..?

Kyee

I was wondering, since it may end up being cheaper, is it possible to built a glass/acrylic cage like an Exo-Terra, relatively easily? I want the opening front doors. Or, does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the Exo-Terra?

=) If anyone knew a website or had plans they were willing to share, please do!

-Kyee

cucarachafea

I have sliding front doors on my 20 &29 gallon tanks. Im not sure if that will work for you. It cost me about $20 to do two tanks and it was fairly easy to do. Heres a picture of one.

Jan042010228.jpg

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Cucarachafea, you have got the best set ups I've ever seen, brilliant how you come up with the ideas! (Sorry to hijack the OP) but you should make a thread with all your different set ups they all look so imaginative!

sammer021486

It is pretty easy to make something along the lines of the white tanks in the picture.

Here is how much they would cost, roughly, purchasing everything from scratch.

melamine (4'x8') $25
screening kit $13
hack saw blade $3
hinges (4 hinges per pack x2) $6
latch ($6ea x2) $12
screen frame $10
screen frame corners ($3 per 4 pack x4) $12
plexiglas (enough for 3 tanks) $45
screws used vary in price

total cost was approximately $130 for those 2 tanks. Had I bought about $20 more in parts I could have built 3 the size I did.

Everything above is customizable that is what it ended up costing me roughly to build them.

12863_181580263299_505568299_2920802_961602_n.jpg

Kyee

Thanks guys! I'm looking to make an arboreal cage for a crested gecko. :) I love your tanks Samuel! I may have to try something like that. Cucarachafea, nice setup!

Grip Fast

“Ballinbreich”
plexiglass ain't cheap!

and what is your time worth.

the exo-terra terrariums are very nice and well thought out.

but hey if you are willing give it a go and post up some pics.

sammer021486

What are you planning on housing in the tank? Depending on the species being housed the whole design of the tank can be thought out.

There is a possibility that you could build the whole tank out of 1/8-1/4" glass and build a simple wood frame to accent the top and bottom of the tank.

Or if you can find one for a decent price pick up a 10-30 gallon fish tank, build a small stand for it and then make a door system for it.

plexiglass ain't cheap!
I have to agree with you there, after I had already bought the plexiglas and cut it to the dimensions I needed. I decided to give some glass shops a call, because I was thinking of using glass for the doors. Each glass door would have cost $12ea, but the glass for the bottom window was $6, edges grounded and polished.

Next time I build I will be getting glass quotes first or asking people in the classifieds for sheets of glass.

and what is your time worth.
For me, it was much more worth it then buying. Because I pretty well had all of the tools it took 2 hours per tank. The longest being the screen frame, cutting and mounting it. Now that I know that it only takes a hack saw with a blade meant for fine cuts in metal. I could probably have that tank together in 1 hour or less.

Kyee

Thanks guys. :) I'm planning on housing a Crested Gecko in it. I may just end up going with the Zoo-Med or Exo-Terra, but I did want to take a shot at building a tank. :D

Thanks for all the info!

sammer021486

if you can find them locally I would recommend checking out atasuki tanks. I got one brand new (second hand actually,lol, the lady had just bought it and it still had the plastic wrap on it).

The atasuki that I got retails for $150 at the pet store and I think that the one I have, its dimensions are 24"Lx17"Dx18"H.

The only problem I have with Atasuki tanks is that they have an insulating foam in the bottom that I would not try to remove.

http://atasuki.com/

Visit our friends