Is this okay?

Coretta

I just set up my tank, and Im just wondering if everything is right.

The cool side has a hidey thing and it has a dish thats going to be used for meal worms. It also has some leaves hanging from the side. The warm side has a thermometer, a hidey, a smaller dish for calcium, a water dish. In the middle of the tank I have a hidey and a branch thing resting on top of the middle hide and connecting that to the top of the water dish. The floor has paper towlels. I need to buy a UTH still.

So for my questions:
What temp does the hot side need to be?
What temp does the cold side need to be?
Does it need lights? If so what kind?
How often do I feed the geckos? Once a day?
I bought moss to go under one of the hide things but which hide does it go under?
And..um..I forgot..Oh yeah! What should I feed the crickets? And am I supposed to boil a potato for the crickets for water? I have a 5 gallon plastic tank I can se to keep the crickets in.

Thanks in advance! :)

Shera

What temp does the hot side need to be?
Different opinions will say anywhere from 88-98F. Somewhere in the middle is best IMO.

What temp does the cold side need to be?
High 70's to low 80's is best IMO

Does it need lights? If so what kind?
Typically, you don't need a light, but you might want a red light for night viewing. If your temperatures are too low you might need a light to boost them, and in that case I also recommend a red light (the red lights don't bother the geckos). I would buy the light after you get the UTH in and temps stabilized, because then you will have an idea of whether or not you want a low wattage bulb just for viewing (if your temps are good), or a higher watt bulb to boost the temps.

How often do I feed the geckos? Once a day?
If it's a juvie, then once a day, if it's an adult then every other day is fine. Many people keep mealies in a dish at all times, and some feed crickets as well. Variety is always good.

I bought moss to go under one of the hide things but which hide does it go under?
It's to go in the moist hide. I think it has to be a closed hide on the bottom. Most use a tupperware container or margarine tub with a hole cut in it and burned around the edges to soften the edges. I keep my moist hide in the middle between the warm and cold side (so 3 hides in total). Some just use 2 and have the moist hide on the cold side, and others put it on the warm side. I guess it's just a matter of preference.

And..um..I forgot..Oh yeah! What should I feed the crickets? And am I supposed to boil a potato for the crickets for water? I have a 5 gallon plastic tank I can se to keep the crickets in.
I don't keep crickets, so I'm not completely sure about whether the potato needs to be boiled. When I buy them, I get just a few, so I use fluker's gutload and water crystals, but they will die if they eat that for more than about 48hrs because of the high calcium levels. Make sure to put egg carton or crumpled paper in the cricket tank to give them more surface area to hang out on. Maybe someone who uses crickets as a staple can answer this question better.

Good luck with your first leo, they are very rewarding pets :)

Coretta

Thank you :) That answered all my questions :D I thought I had to have crickets..but maybe every once in a while I can get a few and feed the geckos.

Visit our friends