just a little guidance please....

lisagr07

i just got my leopard gecko least weekend at the Repticon show here. i got a 3 month old female tangerine leo.... i think that she is gorgeous!!!!! i named her Blossom...
i have decided that a 10 gallon tank isn't big enough for the floorspace needed for hides and food/water and calcium bowls, so i have upgraded already to a 20 long....

what wattage UTH is suggested for placing under her warm hide? i have an 8 watt that is keeping the temp about 83-87 degrees.... i have terrarium moss that i mist inside that hide....

i'm beginning to realize that 3 hides are needed, a cool hide, a warm hide and a moist hide... it seems that these hides are combined in many different ways according to keeper....

when setting up my 20 long i'm thinking cool hide, warm hide and moist hide sharing UTH mat.......

i'm going to place ceramic/porcelain tiles in the bottom of the tank.. should i place Zilla Terrarium Liner over the top of the tiles? maybe place it in just the warm hide so there is a buffer between the geckos belly and the heated tile?
and then if using the liner what wattage UTH mat and if liner isn't advised, what wattage UTH mat???

thanks a ton for the help!!!!! lisa and blossom :)

OnlineGeckos

The size of UTH should cover 1/3 of your tank, so measure the size of the UTH rather than go by wattage. Once you get it all hooked up you will want to test the floor temperature on the tile where the hotspot is, and make sure it does not go above 95 degrees. If it does, purchase a thermostat to regulate the temperature.

I personally don't use anything on the tiles, they seem to do fine with the tile floor. You can use moss/paper towels in their moist hide, that'll provide them a humid & soft place to lay.

Hope that helps, good luck with your new gecko :)

Last edited:

lisagr07

The size of UTH should cover 1/3 of your tank, so measure the size of the UTH rather than go by wattage. Once you get it all hooked up you will want to test the floor temperature on the tile where the hotspot is, and make sure it does go above 95 degrees. If it does, purchase a thermostat to regulate the temperature.

I personally don't use anything on the tiles, they seem to do fine with the tile floor. You can use moss/paper towels in their moist hide, that'll provide them a humid & soft place to lay.

Hope that helps, good luck with your new gecko :)

hey Mardy,,, thanks for the reply!!!!!
ok, i think i probably need a larger UTH mat.... mine's kinda small and once i get the 20long set up it's going to be even smaller! ;)

so the warm hide should go ABOVE 95....

thanks,, lisa

OnlineGeckos

hey Mardy,,, thanks for the reply!!!!!
ok, i think i probably need a larger UTH mat.... mine's kinda small and once i get the 20long set up it's going to be even smaller! ;)

so the warm hide should go ABOVE 95....

thanks,, lisa

Whoa I mistyped, I meant "make sure it does not go above 95". The ideal temperature for them on the tile floor is 90-95 degrees. If your tile checks out to be above 95, then you will want to get a thermostat to regulate the temperature so it stays between 90-95.

lisagr07

Whoa I mistyped, I meant "make sure it does not go above 95". The ideal temperature for them on the tile floor is 90-95 degrees. If your tile checks out to be above 95, then you will want to get a thermostat to regulate the temperature so it stays between 90-95.

hey, no problem,,, thanks for the "autocorrection" ;)!!!! i do have a thermostat on it so maybe i should raise it a bit..... lisa

Visit our friends