Leopard Gecko Heating Mat Temp Advice

Snuffles379

Hello!
I'm new to the forum, I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.
I'm really trying to get my geckos tank to a good temperature since he was recently some how burnt (by a malfunctioning heat mat through two levels of substrate) so I bought a ZooMed mat and a Big Apple thermostat to regulate it.
The problem is the probe (temperature gauge) for the thermostat is suppose to go directly on the mat (under the rug in the tank) so I set that for 87 degrees but my separate digital thermometer which is in the hide my gecko usually stays in on the warm side only gets to 73-74 degrees. I know the tank should be hotter at around 85-90 but I don't know if I should turn up the thermostat and have the mat be hotter or if he is getting the proper heat if the mat is at 87 even though the digital thermometer says 73.

After this problem with the Exo Terra mat I'm really afraid of it getting too hot and hurting him but I want him to be warm enough so he wants to eat and move around especially now while hes recovering from his injuries.

Any advice?

Last edited:

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
I would just turn up the mat until the thermometer in the tank says 90-95. I have the same thermostat and problem with my tubs since I have the plastic and the paper towel but it shouldnt burn him if the thermometer is reading the right temps. Just keep an eye on it for a few days

sunshinegeckos

the hot side should be between 92-94ish. I would just adjust it until you get it right and keep an eye on it for a few days to make sure it keeps the temp right.

Snuffles379

Thanks for the advice guys, so I shouldn't worry as much about the temp of the mat itself? I've never had trouble before but like I said he got a burn all of the sudden from this last one and now I'm so worried it'll happen again.
The problem is, when he got burned last time the substrate where he lays just felt warm. Definitely not hot when I put my hand on it and the temp was only around 89. So now I have no idea how to tell whether or not it is too hot. Since it seemed perfectly fine when he apparently got burned.

Normal functioning mats should not burn him right? I mean a lot of people use them with out thermostats so I assume as long as its the right size I should have to worry, correct?

Visit our friends