Leopard Gecko Setup? Total LG Newbie...

Geckos42

Hey guys.

I have done quite abit of research on Leopard Geckos. I, however, do not have one, and probably will not get one. My sister has a Leopard Gecko, though, and that is why I have done so much research on them. I really love the amazing patterns on Leopard Geckos, but if I got one, I'd be accused of copying lol.

Anyway...I have 2 quick questions...

My sister has a Leopard Gecko that is about 3-4" long. Is it long enough to be safely kept on sand without us having to worry about it becoming impacted?

I am at a loss, how do I install my sister's UTH?? Do I side mount it, or mount it on the bottom of the tank? The tank is directly over a bookshelf, do I need to elevate the tank to put the UTH under the tank? Is there a fire-danger to any common methods? I guess I need you guys to walk me through this one...maybe this one isn't a quick question, IDK.

What do you guys think?

im faster

Should Slow Down
No sand. Not worth the risk. Use tiles for a nice look. If u absolutely must wait till its an adult.

Under tank heat pad gets mounted directly to the bottom of one side of the cage.

Elevate it least 1/4 inch

Dollar stores sell rubber and felt tabs for this

Geckos42

Sounds neat.

Where would I find the tile? Is there a certain type of tile that I need to get? Is there a certain type of tile that would be harmful to the Leopard Gecko? Do I need to put anything under the tile? If they don't have tile that is 10x20", do I need to cut it? Is there a safe way to stack tile without using silicone, or sealent material? Do geckos have a color that would freak them out? Is there a tile that will burn a gecko if it is on top of glass on a heater?

Any tips on picking out tile?

Also, will the heater get too hot by itself? How do I keep the heater from burning the gecko or getting too hot for the tank? Our house often gets 80+ degrees in the summer. Is there some kind of feature that will keep it from getting too hot, or will we have to moniter it and turn it on and off? I may have forgotten to mention, but this is a 8W UTH, and this is a 10g tank.

Thanks for the advice!

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
I put my uth under the hot humid hide. If you have a big enough tank get two hides. Reptile carpet is good. Get two rolls so you can have a fresh one while one dries after cleaning. Way easy to clean. If you use tiles, put something like slim rubber or felt washers so you don't crack the tank. Make sure you get all washers with adhesive backs so they don't have a chance of running away. Don't risk sand.

Thorgecko707

THORGECKO
They make thermostats for heaters that shut off at a certain temp. As for tile I hear slate a lot. I use reptile carpet so I don't risk burns. If you have extra money get one probe thermometer for each end of the tank. Start looking on craigslist for a used 20 long. It's just more comfortable for them. I don't stick uth to the tank because I rotate a lot. I just place it under back right corner.

im faster

Should Slow Down
Tile can be found at any hardware store.. lowes or homedepot pretty cheap also.. no specific kind.. and as for picking it out.. what ever looks cool to you.

It will be in smaller blocks.. it will take a few to fill the tank.. depending on size
and just sit the tiles down no need to seal it.. if you need you an overlap one row to make them fit.. no specific color or type

put the under tank heater on a thermostat to regulate temps..or you can use a lamp dimmer found at lowes or homedeopot

Visit our friends