Lighting & Bulbs

Weirik

Hey Guys!

Quick question. I probably have enough daylight coming through the blinds to not need a day bulb; however, I would like a night viewing bulb. I haven't set up my tank yet so I'm not sure how warm it will be at night, but I don't think I'll need a night heat bulb. Where can I get a night viewing bulb that does not produce heat? Or at least very little. I stay up until midnight everynight and I do school work on the computer so I don't want other lights in the room to disturb him. I read somewhere that these night bulbs also help block out other lights in the room.

I'm thinking of getting the mini double dome light fixture (20 gal long tank) just in case I want to add a regular low watt light bulb for the day time if it's too dark outside (overcast, etc). I can use a regular light bulb for this, right?

Thanks!

OnlineGeckos

A low wattage red bulb will fit your night viewing needs. They emit little heat and red light does not seem to bother leopard geckos. I don't think you really need a day bulb, even if outside is overcast. We have overcast days here but the geckos seem to know when it's day time and they know how to sleep through it without a problem.

Weirik

A low wattage red bulb will fit your night viewing needs. They emit little heat and red light does not seem to bother leopard geckos. I don't think you really need a day bulb, even if outside is overcast. We have overcast days here but the geckos seem to know when it's day time and they know how to sleep through it without a problem.

Sweet!

Here's the little guy I just bought :)

Weirik

Would something like this GE 25 W bulb be good? I don't think there would be a difference than say a Zoo Med one that costs more and doesn't have as low a wattage.

Edit: On second thought, the GE is probably just painted vs the glass being red.

Last edited:

Weirik

So I bought a 25 W red bulb and it's still too much heat with the UTH. The UTH alone runs the tile about 95 so I have a thermostat on the way; however, I can't use the red light I bought for night viewing without pushing temps to 100.

So...

What is everyone's take on CFL bulbs like this one? These put out much less heat and less energy, but I know there's also some risk associated with them...especially if they break. What say you?

Chet1028

I have a 40w red bulb that we use for night viewing. But I have it in a clamp light which is attached to a bookshelf next to the tank. The light is approximately 3ft from the tank, so it does not heat the tank at all and it provides plenty of light for us to enjoy our Leo but not disturb her.

grboxa

I have a 40w red bulb that we use for night viewing. But I have it in a clamp light which is attached to a bookshelf next to the tank. The light is approximately 3ft from the tank, so it does not heat the tank at all and it provides plenty of light for us to enjoy our Leo but not disturb her.

+1.

Visit our friends