Lighting question

artnic93

Love thy Gecko
I have two bulbs, one is a Zoo Med 60 watt Daylight Blue and the other is a Zoo Med 60 Watt red bulb. I have been using the red one lately for heat and nightime observation. Today I put in the daylight bulb and will switch to the red one for at night.
Does it really make any difference?
Do they both emit the same heat?

little98dime

the idea is that the leo cant see the red light. This allows you to view them at night without disturbing their day/night cycle. Are you using a UTH with the bulbs? or are you just using the bulbs? If you have a UTH, you shouldnt need to use a bulb for heat purposes. Leos only need belly heat. It aids in digestion as well as thermoregulation. If you use a bulb fo rheat on top of the UTH, it should be during the day. This will provide a normal night time drop in temperature and will help with the leo's day/night cycle.

Floatingice2010

Proud Leopard Gecko Owner
I use only bulbs with my leo and I have had no problems thus far. The only difference is that I have 50 watt bulbs instead of 60. Shove a thermometer in there (I have one in with Jasper all the time) and you should be ok.

thegeckoguy23

You should use a heat mat because any type of light stresses the geckos out, Also a heat lamp does not give them heat from the belly up and belly heat helps them digest there food.

Visit our friends