Lighting questions...

judagrmn

K so I have looked around the forums, read the care guides and am still curious if my setup is ok or not. I have read that leopards can get their vitamins from the sun by licking some supplements but this is what I was told from the previous caretaker of my Leo. UV (purple bulb) during the day and the red light during the night. That was pretty much all the directions I was given. I replaced the sand substrate with paper towels til I can get some slate put in but the questions still remain about the lights. The UV bulb burned out so til I can get to the store (or if I need to) and get a new one, he's stuck with the red bulb. Should I put a dish of some supplements in the cage til I replace the bulb or do I even need to bother with the bulb? I'm pretty confused. I did search around the forums a little bit so I apologize if I am reposting on an already discussed topic.

fl_orchidslave

Leopard geckos do not require a UV light but do require a vitamin/mineral dust as part of their regular diet. Check out the supplement section of this forum to see your options.

judagrmn

Thanks for the help. I am going to go pick up a UTH when I get paid this next time around and do away with the lighting. Want the best for my little guy and it sounds like he was never really cared for the right way :(

judagrmn

Ok so I went to this place in town called Scales N Tails to get a UTH and they were out. I told the manager my lighting situation for the time being and he recommended a black light bulb instead of the UTH and said it would provide the heat I needed. I didn't get it thought I would check here first. It would be about $10 cheaper for the bulb vs. the UTH and I am kind of on a budget.

Joao

v Snowflake v
The people have spoken. UTH is the best option. Ahaha

You might be saving money now, but what happens when the bulb burns out and you have to buy another? And another and another. The UTH could have been going strong the whole time.

judagrmn

K I guess I'll try to order one online....So many links at the top any thoughts on where would be the cheapest place to get the UTH? My tank is 10 by 20 inches. Thanks.

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Leopard geckos need BELLY heat, not overhead heat toproperly digest their food. An approximate range of 88-95*F for optimum health. There are several places online to get a uth, reptiledirect.com LLLreptile, it all depends on what you want. The best imo is teh cobra brans uth either bu Ulratherm or T-rex as a close second. I do have a link to a sight that sells the ultratherm brand and the T-Rex brans if you'd like them. Bean farm sells them as well. The only time you should need to use any supplimental heat is if your uth is falling short like on an excessively cold day, but you shouldn't have that problem if you go with a cobra. I have an exo terra desert on my son's ball python tank and I hate it. Never gets over 80*F. I prefer the blue moonlight bulb if you need to suppliment heat as I have noticed my leo doesn't like to come out with the infrared heat light on but will gladly come out with the moonlight blue one on. I keep a 50 watt on hand just in case. It can get pretty cold here in NW Pa. Make sure you have a probe thermometer at the very least on the floor of the end of the tank that has the uth, and your uth should take up approx 1/3rd of your tank's floor surface.

Psychotic4mb3r

Psychotic Gecko's
NO LIGHTS.. It dosnt matter what color they are.. They do not apply belly heat what so ever.. Leopard geckos MUST have belly heat for digestion.. Period.. Please dont listen to pet stores :/

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
Sometimes certain locations NEED to suppliment some heat with the use of lighting so saying NO lights what-so-ever is a bit misleading. This is a topic that has been much debated on this forum and I think the best option for the op is to put lighting in the search bar, see all the different arguements for and agasint and make their own educated decision.

Buying an undersized uth in order to save money thinking they will suppliment what ever heat loss they have thru lighting is inappropriate but if you DO have the right sized uth for your tank and are just having some troubles maintaining the right temperature graidents because of excessively thick substrait or living in a colder region then supplimental lighting is acceptable. Sometimes it is not always feesable to go to the next larger sized uth as then you blow your temperature gradient and over half your tank floor is covered with uth which is inappropriate imo.

Visit our friends