moist hide question

catfishrod69

ok right now i have moss in my moist hide, and love it....so do my leos....but it wants to start rotting too quick...i am thinking of instead of using moss, using sponge.....like buy a sponge for washing a car, cut it to size of moist hide, then cut it in half like bread and holow out the center...might work pretty good, and should last alot longer....you can just dip it in water and squeeze out excess the replace.....any ideas?

Knibitz

Pet Owner
That's still going to harbor bacteria.
i'd get a couple of sponges and swap them out if you're going to do that. Then boil them after a use.

gumbii

i use coco fiber/earth stuff... the only problem i have is that the substrate dries out way to fast in the gecko hide... yet, on my fantasy frogs, it takes forever to dry out... but never rots...

try using paper towels... one roll will last you forever...

catfishrod69

That's still going to harbor bacteria.
i'd get a couple of sponges and swap them out if you're going to do that. Then boil them after a use.

sounds like alot of crap to deal with...is there anything at all that works extremely good? paper towl just seems like it would pack down to nothing really quick....

catfishrod69

i use coco fiber/earth stuff... the only problem i have is that the substrate dries out way to fast in the gecko hide... yet, on my fantasy frogs, it takes forever to dry out... but never rots...

try using paper towels... one roll will last you forever...

is that the bricks of coco that you put in water to expand? and how often do you spray them down once in moist hide?

Glass_

Using sponge will probably give you mold/bacteria quicker than moss. What I do is use paper towels, they never mold and take a long while to dry out, and cost effective easy to replace.

@catfishrod yeah the cocofiber is the stuff that expands. One brick expands a whole, WHOLE ton, so be sure not to buy too much. Just spray it down once it gets dry, to the point where it's damp but not so much that when you squeeze it, water comes out. You also have to make sure that it isn't just the top that is dry and the rest is still wet, and spray accordingly.

prettyinpink

I had vermiculite in my tanks before and I have to say Robin has converted me to moss and I love it.

I'll have to try some of that cocofiber you guys are talking about, sounds like fun! :p

Visit our friends