Moist Hide

toph427

I recently made a moist hide with a tupperware and moist eco-earth as the substrate. The hide is on the warm side, which stays at about 91-92 degrees. But when I put the thermometer in the hide, it is much cooler, in the 80s. Is the moist hide ok at this temperature or did I not do something right?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
There is actually a thread on the forum about where do you put your moist hide. It was pretty well spred across the board with some on the hot side, some on the cool side and some in the middle. Because of how my tank is set up, mine is in the middle. I'll see if I can find the thread for ya.

Ok found it... http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=24565

Also if you put moist hide in the search bar and select leopard gecko forum you get a lot of the same question asked by several people. Maybe some of the answers there could also help if that thread doesn't give ya the answer you were looking for.

Last edited:

ncbeast

I am looking for the moist hide temp as well. I have done a search and found this thread but not really answered for a hot side moist box temp. I have my hot side floor temp good now at 88-93 but when I put the moist hide with damp paper towels fully on the hot side and place the probe inside and pit the lid on it the temp is only 80.7, well it has been in there for about 30 mins now.

Is low 80's warm enough for a moist hide to promote good shedding?

My year old male is dull and gostly and geting ready to shed.

Thanks

prettyinpink

When I was first reading about setups I got really confused about this myself.

You don't want their moist hide to be the spot where they regulate their body temp. It's to help them shed, so your moist hide doesn't need to be 'hot' per say...just needs to be nice and damp so when they're about to shed they'll go in there to help themselves.

That being said you can choose where you prefer to have your moist hide, all leos prefer it different places. My guys don't seem to care where ever it is.

Sounds like you have your temps just about perfect for the floor being in the mid-upper 90s.

Hopefully this helped :)

prettyinpink

Btw this is basically what I was saying...just needed to find it. Hope it helps :)

Well if you are properly heating your geckos environment, there should be no reason to keep the humid hide on the warm side... Putting the humid hide on the warm side makes it "too inviting" to a leo and they will spent too much time in an environment that is too humid... Too much time spent in a humid environment can cause problems such as URIs and skin issues such as scale rot and othe fungus infections, and abscesses...

The only reason your leo should be in the humid hide is if it is either shedding or laying eggs... There is no other reason for the humid hide...

If the temps on your cool side are in the mid 80's as it should be, the container will build up plenty of humidity...

Another plus to keeping your humid hide on the cool end is that it will not dry out nearly as fast...

ncbeast

When I was first reading about setups I got really confused about this myself.

You don't want their moist hide to be the spot where they regulate their body temp. It's to help them shed, so your moist hide doesn't need to be 'hot' per say...just needs to be nice and damp so when they're about to shed they'll go in there to help themselves.

That being said you can choose where you prefer to have your moist hide, all leos prefer it different places. My guys don't seem to care where ever it is.

Sounds like you have your temps just about perfect for the floor being in the mid-upper 90s.

Hopefully this helped :)

This is not his only hide on the hot side. He has another hide as well and floor space.

Funny because I have not seen him in the moist hide at all and before writting this I new he looked like he was about to shed. Well guess what it has only been about an hour since I wrote the question about the temp for inside of the moist hide and I placed the probe inside of it. Just went back to check the temp and he just shed. It is all off and laying in a pile and he is laying beside of the moist hide eating it. I am not sure if he has even been in the moist hide or not and this is only the second shed since I have had him and I thought it took a lot longer than that to shed and get it all off of him. I mean it is all off, even his toes, head and tale and like he just put it all in a pile and is now eating it. I guess I do not have to worry too much since this shed was so quick and clean. I will just make sure he does not use it too much.

Visit our friends