moonlight bulb or red bulb at night

Srt14292

Est; 1992
Either will do, A red bulb they can't see but feel the heat, the moonlight bulb will stimulate natural moonlight, 100 watts though, how big is your tank it could get very hot at night with it, plus if this is your primary source of heat may I suggest you get a heat mat. (Im assuming you are talking about leos)

jschaf1

I have a 20G Long tank. I use a 50W red bulb in the center of the tank kept on 24/7 and I also have a UTH on the designated warm side. Warm side is usually around 95F and cool side around 80F. Perfect temps!

adam&nikki

i wont either i do beileive that leos can see the red light and for vwing at night i just have a lamp that is close enough to see them

jschaf1

What is the reason for your question zero99? Are you wondering which bulb is better for heating or viewing the tank at night? I believe red bulbs are better for heating and I have been told by many people here that leos can't see the red light so it doesn't disturb their sleep cycle at night. My exgirlfriend tried a blue moonlight bulb because she wanted to be able to look into the tank at night but she said it was a waste of money because the blue light was so faint you still couldn't hardly see anything.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
What is the reason for your question zero99? Are you wondering which bulb is better for heating or viewing the tank at night? I believe red bulbs are better for heating and I have been told by many people here that leos can't see the red light so it doesn't disturb their sleep cycle at night. My exgirlfriend tried a blue moonlight bulb because she wanted to be able to look into the tank at night but she said it was a waste of money because the blue light was so faint you still couldn't hardly see anything.

True, I tried the black moonlight bulbs before, I can hardly see the geckos. I'm now using 40/60W red bulbs to view my geckos at night.

Zero99

yup for viewing it and heating it. coz that type of bulb is available here in my country and it is in 100 watts. if the 100 watts is ok i'll get the red bulb.

Do u use a standard light that use in house for heating the leopard not hte white one coz here we have a red bulb that use in house and in bar's.

Kolkri

This is my Pumpkin
I use a red blub. It is cold in my house in the winter time. We only use heat in the living area. So I need the red one to help the UTH keep Pumkin warm.

jschaf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaf1

yup for viewing it and heating it. coz that type of bulb is available here in my country and it is in 100 watts. if the 100 watts is ok i'll get the red bulb.

Do u use a standard light that use in house for heating the leopard not hte white one coz here we have a red bulb that use in house and in bar's.

For viewing and heating I would recommend a red bulb then. Red bulbs produce more heat and are better for viewing geckos at night. Best of both worlds!! :D

Zero99

guys do u think a custom maide UTH is ok, like a low watts bulb under the tank that can heat the bottom tank that cant crack the glass. coz no pet store here sale a UTH in my country. only ceramic emmiter lamp i can buy here.

Last edited:

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
There are many online stores that can ship overseas. I live in Hong Kong, and I buy my UTH and thermostats from Beanfarm (because they have no minimum order). Depends on where you're located, you may need a transformer for all electrical stuff though.

Zero99

There are many online stores that can ship overseas. I live in Hong Kong, and I buy my UTH and thermostats from Beanfarm (because they have no minimum order). Depends on where you're located, you may need a transformer for all electrical stuff though.

yeah i know that, the problem is i dont have a credit card or a paypal account.

jschaf1

Hmmm....maybe you can try using a red bulb placed over a large flat stone that the gecko could lay down on? The stone would absorb the heat from the red bulb above and produce a hot surface that could provide plenty of belly heat for your gecko. The only problem is you would have to monitor the temps of the stone very carefully to make sure it doesn't get too hot. That is just my two cents. Listen to what the more experienced posters here have to say. But UTH would be best and you should try hard to get a hold of one if at all possible.

Last edited:

Visit our friends