My first leo setup! Thoughts?

Dragonfly_Dust

Haven't bought the gecko yet but want to show you what setup I'm using for its home.

This is in a 18x18x18 exoterra. I thought it was too small so I used insulation boards to make a 10x18x4 hide with a flat platform to increase the available space. I made a rough-up ramp using a gas lighter so there's easy access for the gecko. The platform has its moist hide (currently empty in pic), a light gray food bowl, and a two-in-one bowl for calcium as well as water.

I have two probed thermometers: one for the hot side and one for the cool side. The probes for the hot side thermometer and the thermostat is in the same area under the hide. I'm using a BAH-1000DC Thermostat in conjunction with a 14x8 Intellitemp Reptile Heat Mat. I also have a 25W light above to help raise the cage's ambient temp.

P4050537.jpg

P4050538.jpg

AMoriarty

Hm. My concern with the insulation would be is that I know that stuff flakes off around the edges where it is cut, and so it might "shed" little bits of itself all over the tank with time and with your gecko rubbing up against it. If I were you I might try and make that same structure with the spray-on foam and some gecko-safe paint; there are a ton of tutorials in this very forum on how to do that.

SDCowboy

Looks a bit on the boring side (and pink side). Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like there is just the one gladware hide and that's it.

Dragonfly_Dust

Hm. My concern with the insulation would be is that I know that stuff flakes off around the edges where it is cut, and so it might "shed" little bits of itself all over the tank with time and with your gecko rubbing up against it. If I were you I might try and make that same structure with the spray-on foam and some gecko-safe paint; there are a ton of tutorials in this very forum on how to do that.

I'm not planning on painting it since I'm going for function this time around (unlike my crestie cage) and it'll be easier to clean if I don't have to worry about paint falling off.

As for the flaking, I've having no problems with the top portion of the hide but I see your concern for the bottom portion. I made a new version with all the cut sides placed outwards while only uncut original edges exposed to the gecko. This should keep it the problem to a minimal.

Looks a bit on the boring side (and pink side). Maybe I'm missing something but it looks like there is just the one gladware hide and that's it.

The bottom portion of the pink hide is hollowed out so I essentially added 12 inches of roaming space. I decided to keep it bit bare since a leo won't use the vertical space unlike my crestie. I don't want it to be climbing over useless crap.

Like I said, I'm for function and I don't think a gecko will really care since a lot of breeders keep them in boring racks anyway.

EDIT: You know what. Nevermind, after looking at this closely I find the Styrofoam specks were everywhere in the cage and that without a gecko. I'm getting rid of the hide and getting something else.

Last edited:

Visit our friends