my heat tape and thermostat not working right help please??

gecko breeder

i have a home made rack and i have it hooked up to a thermostate that i got from reptile basics, now i have the thermostate set at 108 and it only goes up to 93 and stays at 93 and it is constantly on but it wont get any hotter, whats going on how do i fix it

roger

i have a home made rack and i have it hooked up to a thermostate that i got from reptile basics, now i have the thermostate set at 108 and it only goes up to 93 and stays at 93 and it is constantly on but it wont get any hotter, whats going on how do i fix it

what kind of thermostat ?I put my probe on the middle rack right on the actual heat tape.My theromstat is set for 100 and by the time it soaks through the tubs its 95 deg.i use a temp gun to monitor temps and i get an instant reading

gecko breeder

my probe is on the bottom of the rack and it is attached to the heat tape thoeand i have a johnson control A419 and am using paper towel

roger

my probe is on the bottom of the rack and it is attached to the heat tape thoeand i have a johnson control A419 and am using paper towel

I have the herpstat,but they all work roughly the same.If u have your theromstat set for 108 your thermostat should power on to achieve that 108.Thats pretty basic.Are u taking a temp reading on the substrate?Because i have my herpsat set for 110 and by the time it gets through the plastic it around 95.I tried experimenting and set my thermostat at 115 in the enclosure it got up to 110.

roger

Well lm reading the heat tape and the temp says 93 and the bin was 99 + so somethings realy wrong

How are u taking the reading of the heat tape?Im confused.Do u have the heat tape plugged into the thermostat and then the thermostat into the wall right? What is your thermostat set at right now?

gecko breeder

i have the heat tape pluged into the termostte and the probe taped to the heat tape, and right now its set at 94 and gos to 88 before turning back on, but when we had it at 104 the temp of the heat tape wouldent pass 93 and the thermostate was constantly on, so idk if its broken or what, i have two of the same ones and one works perfectly

roger

i have the heat tape pluged into the termostte and the probe taped to the heat tape, and right now its set at 94 and gos to 88 before turning back on, but when we had it at 104 the temp of the heat tape wouldent pass 93 and the thermostate was constantly on, so idk if its broken or what, i have two of the same ones and one works perfectly

So when u had it set for 94 did the thermostat turn on when it dipped below 94.?Are your connections to the heat tape secure? In my herpstat if I have mine set for 100,it will turn on till the tape gets to 100 degrees.Once it reaches that temp it powers down until it reaches that setting.I have mine set for proportional.is your probe plugged into your thermostat correctly.

gecko breeder

im not the one who connected it it came form reptile basics so idk how its wired the other one i got form him is fine, and now it seems like its doing better now thats its set to a lower temp but still not at ranges id like it to be at

roger

im not the one who connected it it came form reptile basics so idk how its wired the other one i got form him is fine, and now it seems like its doing better now thats its set to a lower temp but still not at ranges id like it to be at

can u post pics of your setup.heat tape,probes ,thermostats, as many pics as u can.I wish someone who has the johnsons thermostat would chime in.maybe its a setting issue.maybe it would be set for a temp that is locked in.there is definately a problem because u should be able to set it for 120 if u want

Visit our friends